• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Digital Camo MARPAT M1008

Disciple

Ok, so I want to paint my M1008 in Digital Camo. I think from pics I've seen online that I would like to do the Urban MARPAT scheme. I found a vendor online that sells 24"x18" Mylar Digital Camo Stencils for around $30 and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

One problem. The MARPAT Urban design has not been adopted by the Military (yet?) and I can't find the correct color codes anywhere! I'm not going for super fancy here, this will be a tedious and time consuming process, so I'm just going to lightly sand the white (ugh) paint that's on there now and go to town with the stencils and some rattle cans. (The truck was previously purchased by a local Sheriff's department, I think to tow their boat, hence the white paint with black grille, bumpers, and mirrors. I will be leaving the black alone, think that would look pretty sweet.)

Any help here?

Disciple

Yeah, I know. I was hoping that someone would have actual paint color codes or names. It's extra difficult because the Urban pattern is not actually in use. Looks like White, Black, a light gray, and a darker gray to me, but I could be wrong. May just make up my own color schemes. Found a good stencil set online:

It's the Digital 101XL:
Terrain Phantom Camouflage Stencil | the store

Disciple

Also found this:

DIY Stencil Generator

It's a DIY Camo Stencil Generator that you can customize the pattern, size, colors, etc yourself and print off then cut out. Seems like the ones I listed above would be worth the $30ish to just save the hassle though. Nice thing about the generator is that you can change the Pixel sizes. Would be better IMO to have larger pixels on a vehicle than on, like BDU's fpr instance. Small pixels would look too busy on a vehicle I think.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to check with bigflew to see how he did his. He has a digital camo M1009. Looks real nice.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Ok, so I want to paint my M1008 in Digital Camo. I think from pics I've seen online that I would like to do the Urban MARPAT scheme. I found a vendor online that sells 24"x18" Mylar Digital Camo Stencils for around $30 and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

One problem. The MARPAT Urban design has not been adopted by the Military (yet?) and I can't find the correct color codes anywhere! I'm not going for super fancy here, this will be a tedious and time consuming process, so I'm just going to lightly sand the white (ugh) paint that's on there now and go to town with the stencils and some rattle cans. (The truck was previously purchased by a local Sheriff's department, I think to tow their boat, hence the white paint with black grille, bumpers, and mirrors. I will be leaving the black alone, think that would look pretty sweet.)

Any help here?
What is the "Marpat Urban" pattern? Marine Pattern (MARPAT) only comes in two patterns Woodland and Desert. Is there something new out there ?

Disciple

It's not new, just never used. There were actually three different patterns/color schemes originally proposed, the two you mentioned (which were adopted) plus an "Urban" color scheme which was never adopted. This is the scheme I would like to do. Just Google "Urban MARPAT" and you will see examples. I think it would look really cool on a vehicle.

From Wikipedia:
"There were initially three MARPAT patterns: Woodland, Desert, and Urban. Currently, only the Woodland and Desert patterns are used by the Marine Corps, replacing the U.S. Woodland pattern and the U.S. Three Color Desert pattern. The Urban pattern was not approved for use. A snow pattern has also emerged on cold weather training over-garments"

Last edited:

XanRa

What is the "Marpat Urban" pattern? Marine Pattern (MARPAT) only comes in two patterns Woodland and Desert. Is there something new out there ?

There were initially three MARPAT patterns: Woodland, Desert, and Urban. Currently, only the Woodland and Desert patterns are used by the Marine Corps, replacing the U.S. Woodland pattern and the U.S. Three Color Desert pattern. The Urban pattern was not approved for use. A snow pattern has also emerged on cold weather training over-garments.
copy an pasted to lazy to type at 23:32 lol

Disciple

combatmech

There were initially three MARPAT patterns: Woodland, Desert, and Urban. Currently, only the Woodland and Desert patterns are used by the Marine Corps, replacing the U.S. Woodland pattern and the U.S. Three Color Desert pattern. The Urban pattern was not approved for use. A snow pattern has also emerged on cold weather training over-garments.
copy an pasted to lazy to type at 23:32 lol

The Navy is working on NWU ( Navy Working Uniform ) Type 2 and Type 3.
Type 1 is the ugly a** blue digital camies, Type 2 is a wooland pattern ( more green, less brown than the MARPAT woodland), Type 3 is a desert pattern.
Type 2's and 3's will be issued to Special Ops folks......although I am hearing that the Type2's will go to SeaBee units as well.

FMFDOC

marpat colors?

I was a lurker here for a long time, until I saw your post wondering about MARPAT colors. I was just looking for those colors today and here's what I found:
Color Discussion Forum: MARPAT Woodland & Desert Uniform Color Numbers ??

And here's a little history for you:
DGI Camouflage Facts

So, you want to apply it? Look at these two links:
DIY Digital Camo Pattern Generator
DIY Stencil Generator
Digital Camo Tutorial
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMtAsQu2Jw[/media]

I would think that you would have to make the squares of the pattern 4" or 6" square to make it look 'right'. Maybe even bigger.

This is a good source of information for making stencils, albeit on a small scale:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9oAl6Mes4M[/media]

Hope that helps...

Now if I can figure out how to post this correctly.

HI FOLKS, NEW MEMBER LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN GEORGIA WHO PAINTS TAN DIGITAL CAMO ON MILITARY VEHICLES. I AM GOING TO JOIN MATT PARRISH WHO IS WALKING FROM TAMPA TO LA AND BACK FOR THE SPECIAL OPERATIONS WARRIOR FOUNDATION. YOU CAN FIND US ON FACEBOOK, LOOK FOR TREK FOR HOPE DESERT WARRIOR AND TREK FOR HOPE. THE M996 WILL BE THE SUPPORT VEHICLE FOR THE 8 MONTHS WE ARE ON THE ROAD. YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
MY EMAIL IS SPECIALFORCESMCG@AOL.COM

LINK TO TREK FOR HOPE DESERT WARRIOR
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trek-for-Hope-Desert-Warrior/111507345598067?v=wall

LINK TO SPECIAL OPERATIONS WARRIOR FOUNDATION
Special Operations Warrior Foundation

Last edited:

GFB

while I think that digi camo 1009 looks good, it is not MARPAT. I think a blown up version of MARPAT would look awesome on a vehicle.

Disciple

Here is an interesting example of digi cam on an MV. Might be something to use as an example as it looks to be a good scale to me.
YES! That looks awesome. Great find. I would maybe change the colors some, but that is very close to what I had envisioned. Thanks for the pic!

Update: I've put this project on hold for a bit. I just got a Banks Sidewinder kit. Waiting to buy a few misc. parts and a way to hide the cash to pay my mechanic for the install from the wife ;) before I do anything with the body/paint. This is still in the works, just moved down the list below the turbo and a new motorcycle. Gotta have priorities.

I think the urban MARPAT is ugly IMO. You might as well just paint the truck dark grey. Or paint it with some of that grey "stone-texture" spray paint.

A large pattern woodland MARPAT would look awesome on a CUCV.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think it would be really neat to have digital camo on my M1009 and/or my Toyota Tundra. I think that the color pattern used on the ACU fabric would look great, with a pixel size of about 1/2" to 1" square.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks