• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diluted motor oil

Z71

I changed the engine oil in my M109 today and noticed that the oil which drained was awfully thin (almost like water) and there seemed to be a lot more of it than I remember from previous oil change. It looked like it was diluted with diesel fuel, there was probably two more gallons than there should have been. I drained the oil cold and it should have been thicker than this. did not see any milky mixture indicating presence of coolant or water. If it is diesel fuel, what is the probable cause? Leaky injectors? Leaky injection pump? Is this problem common? What should I check first?

welldigger

Your getting fuel into your engine oil. A few things can cause this. Leaking fdc. Bypass it if you have one. Leaking hydraulic head and fuel control rod o rings. Also the booster pump seal located on the side of the injector pump can fail and allow fuel into the oil.

The intake flame heater can also theoretically cause oil contamination by leaking fuel into the intake. This is the least likely reason but you can plug it off just to be sure.

Z71

I suspect I may have leaky O rings in the fuel shut off rod. I noticed that lately the pump has been wet on the outside, as if soaked by fuel. Is there a procedure posted anywhere in the forum how to replace those and what size O rings are needed?

welldigger

If you do one o ring you should do them all. Including the 2 under the hydraulic head.

I sell the o rings but if you want to source them yourself the control rod is a -012 and in some pumps they like a -013.

The ones under the hh I'll have to get back with you. I have a pile of them but can't remember the size off hand.

To check to see if the o rings are leaking pull the shutoff cover from the side of the ip. Turn the master power on. Then using a mirror look in there and see if anything is dripping.

It will be obvious if it is.

Z71

If you have the correct O rings, I will gladly buy them rather than try to find them. PM me with price for complete set.

jatonka

Welldigger, you are one cool dude, you really treat people right and it will always come back to you in spades. I know, it's often that I tell guys how to avoid buying my expensive parts by taking another good way out to fix a problem, and you know what? They always say thanks. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks