• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dim alternator #1

carctruck

So Here I am yet again with alternator questions (sorry guys). In the process of rebuilding my #1 alt (as the #1 gen light was dimly lit and getting brighter as I increased the load) I noticed that the case to my alternator was cracked pretty severely, so I put in on my shelf as benchstock parts and bought another alternator (1975 caddy deville alternator) I crosschecked the part numbers and its the correct alternator, however I still get a #1gen light dimly lit and brighter as I increase the load, any thoughts?

lnnayers

a dim light is usually indicative of a bad diode, either in the diode trio or the rectifier bridge. [alternators generate ac voltage and the diodes correct or alter the output to be dc voltage]

Barrman

Since you have evidence of a bad alternator, swapped in a good one and the problem is the same. Maybe you have a short on the truck side of the system and it is causing your alternators to go bad. Check your voltage at the plug with the engine off and on.

carctruck

Thats what I thought but I checked all grounds (to the best of my knowledge) voltage seems to be good on/off, Im planning on tracing hot wires tonight for shorts.

Barrman

There are several threads about what to do. Basically, unplug the alternator, check the voltage at the plug with the key off and on. If they all have 12 volts with the key on and the plug off, then the truck side is probably good and you are back to testing the alternator.

carctruck

actually yes, is the primary load that brightens the light, it would make sense if there were a short somewhere before the fan on/off switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks