• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dimensions for the 4 troop cover bows

Asshart

I have a troop cover but no bows. This is the least popular and ugliest hmmwv configuration, but I love the versatility of a 2 man pickup with the covered bed.

Eastern Surplus will solve my lack of bows problem for around $340 after shipping but I'd rather put my skills to work and build my own.

Does anyone have the pipe width, the approximate angle of the bends, and the height and length? I'm going to make it with a hacksaw and connector pieces.

Asshart

I have a troop cover but no bows. This is the least popular and ugliest hmmwv configuration, but I love the versatility of a 2 man pickup with the covered bed.

Eastern Surplus will solve my lack of bows problem for around $340 after shipping but I'd rather put my skills to work and build my own.

Does anyone have the pipe width, the approximate angle of the bends, and the height and length? I'm going to make it with a hacksaw and connector pieces.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you ever go to New Orleans or Tallahasse as my daughter goes to Florida State?

I have a set but shipping would be crazy due to weight and measurements.

Asshart

Do you ever go to New Orleans or Tallahasse as my daughter goes to Florida State?

I have a set but shipping would be crazy due to weight and measurements.
I'm in El Paso and the truck isn't running at the moment. That leaves my Hyundai Veloster...
The awkward dimensions necessitates making it locally. I was going to build it chopped in half and joined in the center for portability. Gear-Report made DIY instructions for the 4 man cargo area. 1 inch conduit tubing, I assume its the same for 2 man, just taller.

DREDnot

The tubing is 1" diameter OD
I dont have a way to measure the bend radius or angle
The straight part of the legs are approximately 29" and 34" respectively
The height to the center apex is approximately 34" and 40" respectively
My bows show signs of being bent and straightened enough that dimensions are approximate.

I like the 2man cargo configuration as well but its a little too tall to fit in my garage.

20200113_114555.jpg

20191222_161402.jpg

DREDnot

Nice job on shortening.
Did you modify the cover or a Canvas shop?
Next door neighbor has a commercial sewing machine and tools. Layed it out on the driveway to mark out the strip that was removed. All the kids that had gathered to watch helped maneuver the the whole thing around as we ran it through the sewing table. Humvee rides to complete the project.

Asshart

The tubing is 1" diameter OD
I dont have a way to measure the bend radius or angle
The straight part of the legs are approximately 29" and 34" respectively
The height to the center apex is approximately 34" and 40" respectively
My bows show signs of being bent and straightened enough that dimensions are approximate.

I like the 2man cargo configuration as well but its a little too tall to fit in my garage.

View attachment 886053

View attachment 886054
Very cool! Ive mocked up what i plan to do with 1" OD 40 grade pvc pipe. Could use some type of conduit metal pipe but most likely pvc. May add a second structurelal support so i can hang hammocks inside.vsitting in ny garage i have the drash tent portal that hooks up to this but no drash tent yet16707588111023538645655521270773.jpg

DREDnot

Be advised...if you are planning on using the factory bow attaching hoops, you can expect a lot of hassle trying to slip the tubing through them. Leave them loose till the end. They are not a precision component, and they tend to be bent and out of round

Asshart

I edumacated myself on PVC pipe and it's potential automotive application in chatting with a helpful pvcfittingsonline rep. Furniture grade 3/4" INNER diameter should fit the bill. 3/4" ID has an outer diameter of 1.05".

Regular plumbing pvc (sch 40 or 80) is designed only for internal psi, not weight-bearing or impact. The stuff at home depot was way too flimsy. Conduit pvc is even weaker.

Furniture grade pvc is UV resistant, more rigid and designed to bear weight, so it should be adequate. I'll design it more similar to an FMTV cargo support to have some rigidity between the bows, enough at least to hang a couple hammocks back there.

After I buy everything I should save $15 compared to oem 😆

Asshart

Of course the home depot pvc expert didn't mention furniture grade exists or that his employer sells it on their site. Instead i was steered towards the regular schedule 40 that would have been terrible in this application.

Home depot sells formufit furniture grade pvc on their website in 5' sections, and you'd want to use furniture grade fittings. I believe some call it "dual rated" schedule 40, not to be confused with regular sch 40.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the heads up. I used to make camping chairs and tables etc when the kids were younger.... out of pvc but was totally unaware of the furniture grade and colors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks