• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dip Stick Measurement

M880 GC

Guys,

My M880 dip stick might not be the original, unknow. Could someone please measure or review the measurement of my dip stick and tube compared to their stock setup?

Exposed tube length from the engine block to the top = 6 3/4" This is the length of the tube only, starting from where it exits the boss on the block to the end of the tube.

From the tip of the stick to the flared shoulder that sits on the end of the tube, 16 3/4".

Thanks,

Gary

Carter

My truck's dip stick measures 28 5/16" and the tube is 10 7/16"... don't know if it's been replaced but I don't think so as I am the first civ. owner.

M880 GC

Carter,

Thank you for the numbers. I think mine is civilian something because the PO added PS and the accesory drive belt config is modified and the dip stick tube is just in the area taken by the drive belts and brackets.

Might mean that my stick is about 8" too short for the tube. Be nice to have a side by side comparison.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been trying to remember during the day to go out and measure it.
The civilian 318 dip stick is the same.
6 quarts with a filter run it & let it sit a few and where the oil is is the full mark.

N1265

I got the same measurements as Carter.

Here is what my rig looks like with power steering, the tube is no where near the belts or P/S brackets ...

Attachments

M880 GC

N1265,

Thanks for the pic's that seems to clearly show that my dipstick config is different. The pivot bolt for the ALT that goes into the head broke off and come creative rigging was used to try to match the pivot location. My dipstick tube does not extend above the ALT as your pic shows, mine is much lower with a long handle not a hook end stick like yours.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Attachments

N1265

Unless my math is wrong, your set up would only give you 10" of dip stick in the block, where we should have 18 1/8 ",

My "Add" line is 2 3/8th" from the tip of the stick, my "full" line is 3 3/8" from the tip of the stick.

Your dip stick is too short to measure the oil in your truck, if you are seeing anything on your dip stick it is way over filled....

M880 GC

N1265,

That is the issue, I don't see it on the stick, that is the research question. The stick does not have a Dodge No. on it for confirmation. Bit of back yard engineering done and to be done.

Thanks,

Gary