• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dipstick oil heater or?

gishooter

Interested in what members here use to keep the oil and engine block warm on their gen sets during winter months?
My generator is a MEP-003. Run monthly under load and professionally hard wired to house electrical system.
On concrete pad next to house and always covered with a canvas tarp. Yes, I have several propane handheld torches and a propane weed burner if needed. But would prefer to keep oil warmed ahead of time so no standing around in a blizzard trying to start. Usually starts without issue until it drops below zero. Then it is a bit of a struggle. Never tried it below -10 our so if memory serves correctly.
I'm trying to decide between an oil dipstick style or a blanket style that attaches to oil pan. What brands/models do you recommend?

Scoobyshep

Only one ive used (other than a block heater which wont work on a 003) was a pan pad

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gishooter

I'm now considering a pad style heater that adheres to the pan. Per my search engine results, using a high temperature silicon adhesive, plus the standard adhesive already on the pad, really helps.
I found these. Supposedly US made and available in different power levels depending on oil capacity. Look like they are flexible enough to fit?

Anybody use the Kat's brand? Or is there a better choice?

Last edited:

Ray70

Never saw those before, but looks interesting. I've used 1500w high temp silicone drum heating belts to heat spray foam resin drums in the winter, this looks like a short section of the same material with adhesive added, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work well.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm now considering a pad style heater that adheres to the pan. Per my search engine results, using a high temperature silicon adhesive, plus the standard adhesive on already on the pad, really helps.
I found these. Supposedly US made and available in different power levels depending on oil capacity. Look like they are flexible enough to fit?

That looks like a good product since magnetic mounts won't work. I've only started my MEP003A once when the temp was right at 0 F. It had no problems starting without any kind of heater, but it is protected in a garage and NOCO battery minders are on the batteries.

Scoobyshep

The other thing to consider if its going to be constantly cold is a battery warmer

gishooter

The other thing to consider if its going to be constantly cold is a battery warmer

Yes, considering a battery warmer also. Each winter I’ve enclosed the batteries with four old seat cushions left over from some outdoor patio furniture. Tied together. Then the tarp over the gen set. Seems to be adequate. But a battery warmer is probably best for overall cold starting performance,

gishooter

Out of curiosity up in Wisconsin, do you keep the machine outside or in some kind of shed or garage?
Ive kept it outside all these years, Always covered with a canvas tarp.
I poured a small concrete pad myself. 12 feet by 5 feet. Approximately 3 inches thick if remember correctly. Located right next to house in corner. So it is close to back door of garage and halway sheltered during storms. Wire mesh, well packed base etc. Zero issues with cracking or frost heave.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how about you kill two birds with one stone?

Add this to your machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I normally mount this accessory in the small panel to the right of the aux fuel cord door, in that little cutout panel)

Plus one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Kasonic-3-Ou...+outlet+outdoor+adapter&qid=1639330922&sr=8-5

Plus the pan heater of your choice

AND... one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G3STB1N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will not only allow you to power all of these items off an extension cord when not in use, but it will keep the pan warm, and the batteries topped off and periodically tested by the smart charger.

gishooter

Thanks for the suggestions!
I was thinking about something similar for a power cord to plug all this into. My next question for the forums was for recommendations on a float charger/maintainer for the gen set batteries.

Where do you attach the NOCO maintainer so you take care of both batteries on the gun set?

Any other brand/model of battery maintainer that is recommended?

So how about you kill two birds with one stone?

Add this to your machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I normally mount this accessory in the small panel to the right of the aux fuel cord door, in that little cutout panel)

Plus one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Kasonic-3-Ou...+outlet+outdoor+adapter&qid=1639330922&sr=8-5

Plus the pan heater of your choice

AND... one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G3STB1N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will not only allow you to power all of these items off an extension cord when not in use, but it will keep the pan warm, and the batteries topped off and periodically tested by the smart charger.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NOCO unit gets wired up to each battery... its a 2 battery maintainer. You just have to make sure you unplug the extension cord from the machine under use, so you arent overcharging the batteries when the alternator is producing DC.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or do you mean where does the maintainer physically go? If that.... I mounted mine on the wall above the dead crank switch. There are photos of this in a previous thread if you do some searching.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Kat's brand; It's a good brand, but there are also others. I use a 250 watt unit on my hummer oil pan (2 gallons). Never have an issue starting it in cold weather, but the lowest I have seen here, north of Flagstaff is about 0F. If you get the pad style, make sure you follow the instructions closely. You do not want to get an air bubble under the pad when installing it. Apply (smear) plenty of silicone sealant around the edges of the pad after installing it. Before that I used a 250 watt pad on my F-250 oil pan, also with good results.

gishooter

I have an order in with Kat's for the heaters. Should be here next week. Already have a heavy gauge outdoor extension cord with three outlets. So should be able get up and running in short order.

Scoobyshep

I have an order in with Kat's for the heaters. Should be here next week. Already have a heavy gauge outdoor extension cord with three outlets. So should be able get up and running in short order.
Make sure what you have it plugged into is GFI protected.

gishooter

Yes, will run to a GFI outlet in my shop. Just need to open a window a bit. Simple to make a spacer and insulation to fill the opening.

Heating pad and battery warmer arrived. Need to make a trip to auto parts store to pick up some more high temp silicone adhesive.

Make sure what you have it plugged into is GFI protected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks