• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dipstick Wrong?

The Baron

I got lazy and let a mechanic install a new oil pan on my 1984 M1009 Blazer. The pan is a Spectra GMP40A oil pan. I gave the mechanic 2 gallons of oil to fill it up with when he was done. When I came to pick it up he said I may need to put a little more oil in, because the dipstick was showing its still a little low. 2 gallons should be way too much oil. Do I need a new dipstick or did he not install it correctly? Has anyone had this happen?

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never let bubba the mechanic work on your vehicle , if the guy is not even smart enough to check to see how much oil the 6.2 takes , need I say more,

blueblaze

I wonder if the tube isn't fully seated in the pan. Is the tube still bolted to the drivers exhaust manifold? They have a habit of the spot welds breaking so the tube isn't held to the mount anymore. Might have happened if the guy didn't pull the tube out first and was yanking on it during pan removal.

MtnSnow

Also could be that the replacement pan is deeper thus holds more? If the OEM pan and the new replacement pan hold the same amount of oil then the dipstick has moved thus giving a incorrect reading

FloridaAKM

A deeper pan would allow more oil to be added, but the level would be the same as long as the dipstick housing remained the same. I would rather have a little bit more oil capacity, than less. Don't ask me how I know!

The Baron

It seems that the dipstick is fully seated. I'm going to see if I can get some dimensions on the new and original oil pan. If it is a deeper pan should I still put the original amount of oil in or stick with what the dipstick says?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems that the dipstick is fully seated. I'm going to see if I can get some dimensions on the new and original oil pan. If it is a deeper pan should I still put the original amount of oil in or stick with what the dipstick says?
Stick with what the dipstick says if it is a deeper pan , unless a longer pickup tube was added also .

48cj2a

Specs say it is 7QT with the filter thats pretty close to 2 Gal

Product Details

Part Number:
GMP40A
Weight:
11.0 lbs
Baffled:
Yes
Crank Shaft Wiper Included:
No
Dipstick Port:
Yes
Drain Plug Thread Size:
M14 X 1.5
Gaskets Included:
No
Item Grade:
OEM Standard
Kicked Out:
Yes
Oil Pan Capacity (qt):
Oil Pan Depth (in):
Oil Pan Material:
Cold Rolled Steel (EDDQ)
Package Contents:
New Oil Pan
Pickup Included:
No
Sump Location:
Rear
Sump Style:
Wet
Windage Tray Included:
No

usabamaman

Have you got this figured out yet? I think I could probably measure the distance of the top of my tube to the bottom of the pan with a piece of stiff wire, maybe a coat hanger, then you do the same. This should tell you what is going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks