• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disable the CTIS?

PBR street gang

Greetings. My LMTV has a discharging rear tire and I suspect the right rear wheel manifold valve (bubbling). Until I can get my head around the CTIS and find parts (preformed packing kits), I am consider disabling the CTIS. I am not finding any system disabling or partial disabling information in the manuals. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to read the similar threads at the bottom of the page. I'm sure it will be similar to the M35a3.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can find resting leaks with windex. Sometimes just an o ring or something tightened up is all that's required. Disabling the ctis will only prevent automatic reinflation when you start the truck. The wheel will still leak if it leaks when sitting with the truck off now.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would disable the system but not stop the leak.
Pull hose from wheel valve to tire stem and install Schrader on all 4 tires
If tire is leaking it will still leak and go down.

I would just find the leak and fix.
If you got a shop compressed just air truck with glad hand and start spraying winded or leak detect and keep looking some leaks take a while to show be patient and you will find them.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crappie then I guess you just need to find the leaks.
Supra is there a way to isolate the tire to see if tire or tires are leaking.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes. Take the feed line off. Not the one from the valve to the stem. Scrunch a plastic bag around the line use a rubber band to hold it on let it sit for a while. Leaky valve will inflate the bag. Use windex around the 2 piece rim look for bubbles those will be air leaks.

Hwhomes

Is there a diagram available the lists the various parts and their names? Hard to follow the advice when you don't know what parts being talked about.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the air line off that's feeding air to axel put bag on it if anything is leaking it will inflat the bag.
I think that's what he is telling us
Correct me if me supra if I am wrong.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The line that comes out of the rim on a banjo bolt going to the ctis valve. If air is leaking back out thru the valve then that's where it will come out. If the lines from the stem to valve are leaky windex should find that. The wheel valves are probably a scheduled replacement item. Moisture corrodes them inside and then the flapper cannot seal properly and air will start seeping by.

coachgeo

... The wheel valves are probably a scheduled replacement item. Moisture corrodes them inside and then the flapper cannot seal properly and air will start seeping by.
Have seen you say this in several threads. Your most likely right. Have you seen any hints to this in any of the manuals? Have you got any ideas on how to help those pesky flaps last longer? Spray lube, WD40 orrr? into the system as a routine maintenance?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The ctis is basically the same system as the m939a2 trucks have. The flappers are
rubber and they age and dont seal well, moisture will
corrode the valves metal body over time and the flap cant get a good seal. Chemicals sprayed in will cause damage. Best way to help the ctis stay working is have a good working air dryer.

coachgeo

The ctis is basically the same system as the m939a2 trucks have. The flappers are rubber and they age and dont seal well, moisture will corrode the valves metal body over time and the flap cant get a good seal. Chemicals sprayed in will cause damage. Best way to help the ctis stay working is have a good working air dryer.
noted and thanks

coachgeo

Which part in the pics ends up with pits that cause sealing issues? before reassembly when putting in new rubber valve wondering if a coat of epoxy/JB weld to fill the pits..... allowed to dry and fully cure, then sanded and polished flat, would be wise. Maybe along with a coating of something to help prevent more pits would be in order. Not sure what that something would be though.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Around the center metal nut piece with a hole. I have seen these with the metal housing significantly corroded though. The rubber flaps seem to go bad with age. There is a rebuild kit available though. I think it has a new flapper, spring, center metal piece and 4 new bolts to hold the valve together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks