• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disappearing antifreeze

closedknuckle

My anti f is dissappearing, No hose leaks, not heater, not radiator, not recovery hose or bypass, no core leak, nothing ever on the ground. Can't even find a drop anywhere? Oil clean as a whistle and never goes up, no white smoke? what, some kind of even leak where it is being burned evenly in all 8 cylinders?

Confused

OldGoat

First make sure your radiator cap is good, and tight. You can pressure test it, any place automotive repair shop will have the pump. If it's not in your engine, this will show you what to fix.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard stories of cows having their blood drained out by aliens in UFO's. Have any farmers in your area experienced this? Is your M880 OD, or prerhaps black and white camouflaged?

papercu

It does happen, mine (civilian truck)was a small leak at the back of the engine around the intake/heads, too much trouble to fix so I used some engine sealer worked fine.Wayne

skajm

my ramcharger did the samething. the thermo gasket was going bad. a small leak that only showed underpressure. get a coolent system tester ( a big pump that fits on radiator cap with gauge) , fill system and pump up watch gauge and for leaks. good luck.

joe

jmh4x4

had the same problem with my 02 silverado, turned out to be a pin hole leak at the water pump seal, what did leak out evaporated off the hot engine leaving no trace. quite the relief, i figured it would be something ten times worse.

closedknuckle

not sure

well, i'm losing quite abit, with no trace of it anywhere what soever, like 1 gallon evry 150 mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every other leak ive ever had would show up, i park over 8 inches of snoew, and it is nothing but white????????????????????

papercu

Mine would lose a lot just after you filled it up, but after it lost a certain amount it would just stay at that level and never would run hot. Did that for at least 2 years before it finally got bad enough to find. Wayne

N1265

Chances are It is either getting burned due to a small leak in the coolant system, or the water is evaporating.......

If you don't have access to a tester as mentioned before,
I suggest you do two things :

A) Replace the radiator cap, the spring gets week in them over time and allows the coolant to evaporate, they are cheep, under $5 bucks.

B) Throw some stop leak in it, it is not uncommon for a small leak to develop in the coolant system allowing it to enter the cylinders and get burned or leak externally and not be noticed. I normally use the BARRS stop leak with good results ( the stuff with the black pellets in it)

good luck and keep us posted.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not a vehicle I familiar with but you may have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. The quick test for a gasket and is to start it stone cold rev up and then see if pressure is in rad. There should be none. Another test is replace a cap with a radiator tester. Pump up to 15psi and leave on overnight. Lower press in morning will indicate a leak somewhere.

Heads may crack near those hard exhaust seats. This may allow coolant to get into combustion chamber or crankcases (or both). The later contaminates the oil. The former may, but not always, create white smoke out tail pipe. My 90 Ranger had a cracked head at 100K. Used 1qt /moth for all of 5 years. Never smoked, oil was OK. Ran another 100,000 miles fine this way. At 200K there was a sudden increase in coolant use, to 1 gal every few days. That was a problem. I now had more white smoke(some normal in this time of year -Feb-, however the white smoke now in puffs every RPM) . The oil quickly formed very thick sludge on cool valve covers(inside). The concern was the stuff would move and clog the oil pickup. 20 years ago I had heard of a product called Moroso Ceramic seal. They have 2 products. On used in anti-freeze, a second,a better product, used with water in cooling system(10-15$). The label said a race care block sealer but can be used in you tow rig....The inst was to remove anti-freeze, add water, add goop, drive around for 24Hr, drain, leave empty 24 hrs, fill with anti-freeze. Well I'm not a big believer in miracles in a can, but holy smokes- it stopped -ALL- coolant usage, even a leaking head gasket(external leak only, been leaving a few drops on ground (once and a while) since I got truck, and a small thermostat housing leak. That was a contrast. It always used some. It ran another 100,000 hard miles, often towing a 5K-6K trailer cross country, never used any coolant. The 2.9 Ford had some history of common head cracks, cracks between the 2 seats. I might also point out that most head design has a lot of cooling around the exhaust seat/port. Someone said a truck rad sealer was similar-K/W sealer(Kenworth?). The coolant may have damaged cam bearings causing a huge loss of oil pressure. Amazingly it still ran fine, Engine was replaced/retired 100 K later, at 300K, due to a pending heavy CC transport (R4360). It had many issues at this time but the real concern was that the original hand sized clutch disk w/300K was just fried moving a neighbor's camper off road in snow. No coolant use even at that 2.9's end.

Anyways, Moroso Ceramic Seal, should anyone have a cracked head /bad head gasket.

Last edited:

dlawbrey

I would suggest putting a pressure tester on your system and putting a little more pressure on it than your cap is rated for and if is a leak it should reveal itself and not evaporate on the engine from heat. If it an internal leak your pressure will drop without showing coolant outside the engine. Also check the heater core.

BEASTMASTER

just like the brake fluid ghost. before i go anywhere i peek in the master cylinder and sure enough the ghost has stolen some of my fluid, not much, but enough to say where the he-- is that stuff going?? use about a pint a year.especially when i do alot of plowing.

M880 GC

I chased a coolant leak on a 2.2L Caravan for a couple of years, one technique pin pointed the problem as it was the cyl head. Cylinder leak down test. We placed each cyl on it's TDC, valves closed and using a compression tester hose you apply shop air pressure and look for bubbles in the rad fill neck. This checks for a leak between the combustion chamber and cooling system. One cyl bubbled, took a head replacement to cure it, extra long rest of the story on that '85 Caravan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks