• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disappearing Threads/Posts

mangus580

Guys, I just had a PM asking me about a thread that was deleted. I figured I would share my answer to everyone instead of just the PM.

Unfortunately, when we have to delete a complete thread, the deletion notification goes only to the original poster. That said, everyone else who responded in the thread has no clue why or when the thread might have been deleted.

Personally I find this to be a problem, and I am working on finding a solution that might allow us to send a notification to all posters in the thread. I am not sure I will come up with a viable answer though, but I will do my best to try.

Also when a single post is deleted, the poster should have a notification PM stating why it was deleted. If the moderator does not put a reason in, and you dont know why it was deleted, please forward the notice to me and ask! I am trying to get all the mod's to mark all their actions (even editing) with a reason.

Hope this helps to clear some questions!

ABN173

One simple work around, just before deletion of the thread make a post stating "Thread being deleted due to......." those of us subscribed would get an e-mailed version of the posting even if the thread is deleted shortly after. Might be more work than you have time for though. Whatever you decide is fine of course. Thanks for all the work Chris, Mike, Doghead , and all the other MODS out there.

mangus580

One simple work around, just before deletion of the thread make a post stating "Thread being deleted due to......." those of us subscribed would get an e-mailed version of the posting even if the thread is deleted shortly after. Might be more work than you have time for though. Whatever you decide is fine of course. Thanks for all the work Chris, Mike, Doghead , and all the other MODS out there.
Not a bad idea... but I may have a hard time getting people to do it :) we will see.

Having had posts deleted for reasons unknown, I appreciate that you are working on this.
I might disagree with a reason, but I'd still like to have the reason.
I understand, and quite honestly, I am not sure why I have not heard much complaint on this issue. It never occurred to me that only the original poster would get the notification (which was added sometime this spring) upon deletion.

frodobaggins

Why not use the lock function with a moderator post at the bottom ?

(I can see where this would sometimes not be appropriate, but most times I believe would be better, as everyone can see why it was locked, not just those who have posted)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:on the work-around
:ditto::ditto::ditto:on the THANKS for the work you MODs put into this site!

GOOD JOB!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks