• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disappointed with GL description

beetle

I went to GL in Mechanicsburg today to pick up my recently purchased deuce.GL had described my truck as a runner with winch & around 6,500 miles on the odometer. I went the extra bucks for this one because of the low miles. Pictures looked good. Well my excitement disappeared quickly when they showed me my truck. It looked a little rougher than the pictures ( I expected this) but what scalded my -------- was the mileage. The truck had over 60,000 miles on the odometer. Needless to say I came home unhappy without a truck.Now I have to file a claim to get my money back. I guess I'm not going to be bidding anymore if I don't get a chance to do my on own inspections. Has anyone else run into this & how hard is it to get reimbursed? Also how long does it take ? Thanks Beetle. :? :?

acetomatoco

Have a bunch of fun.. remember caveat emptor... Most 30 year old trucks have had 3 or 4 rebuilds and several speedometer/odometers...if you did not look at it personally or have a pro screen it for you... shame on you...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is of no help to you, BEETLE, but it is a lesson to everyone else who wants to bid based only upon GL's descriptions. I would strongly encourage anyone who wants a truck to take the time to inspect...and learn something BEFORE you inspect...and I mean more than you've heard on this list. I can't say that I've ever been mislead you like you were, BEETLE, but I can say I don't trust their descriptions. I've said it before...what does "it runs" mean? Does that mean they were able to get it started? Does the motor knock? It could still run and smoke incessantly. Caveat emptor. If I was GL, I hate to say it BEETLE, but I'd ban you from bidding again. It says right on their site that you should not trust their descriptions. With that said, my hope is that they refund your money with no hassles. I will add that a friend of Joe Young's once got a deuce from the old DRMO that had a hole in the block. The description did not say it and he only found out when he got there. His argument was that this was a residue truck and was not marked as such. He got his refund...but he was unable to bid again for a period of years.

papercu

GL

Did you read the contract that you signed by default when you bid?
It says
Information provided by us is not guaranteed and should not be considered as a substitute for your due diligence and physical inspection of the property.

AND

If property is not removed within the specified removal period or scheduled for removal at a later date with our site manager, we will consider the property to be abandoned by you, and you will have abandoned all right, title and interest in the property including the purchase price of the property.

If you paid by CC and you don't mind being banned from future bidding you could try a charge back.

Good Luck, Wayne

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: GL

The thing is,wouldn't this be considered Wire Fraud on teh part of GL?They discribed the truck as something it flat was not and put down an insanely incorrect milage.

SierraHotel

Man…rough crowd…
I know what it says, and yes he should go after it with that in mind. But some of us are honest and stupidly expect others to be honest…right or wrong.
I get burned from time to time, but often get more than I give…just because I’m honest. Sorry to hear about it Beetle. I’d make sure GL will seriously consider your request before I abandon it. I’ll try to give you a hand if I am able…

FreightTrain

Banned

Someone really needs to file a Major Class action suit against GL due to their shady business practices.Falsified discriptions,Lost lots,Failure to allow contact for load outs,blaa blaa blaa.If anyone else did this,they would be locked down,shut down,and burned down for Fraud.

papercu

GL

But some of us are honest and stupidly expect others to be honest
Well I don't like/want to defend G/L but they do tell you up front DON"T TRUST ANYTHING IN THE DESCRIPTION GO LOOK. I don't know how you can be more plain than that.

That being said, Beetle was disappointed in the 60,000 miles showing, if it was right 60,000 miles is low for a diesel. If it would crank up I would be driving it home. Wayne

bottleworks

Beyond the odometer (which may have been replaced in the past), how was the truck overall? It might be worth getting and avoid the hassle of trying to get your money back. I think you will have a very, very hard time getting 100% of your money back. You could always try reselling it once you get it titled in your name. How many hours were on the tach? I consider that more important then the millage.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

This kind of BS is a big part of why I've stopped paying attention to GL auctions.

Based on their (absurd, one-sided, and IMHO illegal) terms of sale, I would not be at all surprised if they banned you from bidding again. I'm not trying to condone this, but it's what I expect they'll do.

That being said, 60,000 miles on a 30+ year old truck is no big deal, even if that is its original speedometer. Since the speedometer (which contains the odometer) and the tachometer (which contains the hour meter) are both generic and easily-replaced parts, there's no guarantee that the odometer and/or hour meter readings really indicate the number of miles on the chassis or hours on the engine; they could easily by 10x higher or lower than the real numbers. And the truck probably doesn't have its original engine in it, anyway. I would never blindly trust the odometer and/or hour meter readings on any military truck, and would always go by the apparent condition of the truck after my own personal inspection.

So, I can understand why you would be upset at that discrepancy, but I doubt you'll get satisfaction from GL on it, and you'll probably lose the right to ever bid in their auctions again (maybe you already have?). Even if they had transcribed the odometer reading correctly, it still could have been a P.O.S. truck that had its speedometer replaced 6,500 miles ago. Or a non-running heap that had a 6,500-mile-old speedo stuck in it to fill the hole. Or it could really be a 6,500 mile truck and some jackass swapped the speedo with another truck after the description was written. The odometer and hour meter readings on a military truck with a long and unknown history are meaningless, because it takes a few minutes with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to swap either meter. Even the truck's dataplate is considered a replaceable part by the military.

Unless you just want to try to get your money back and never play the GL game again, I think your best bet is to see if you can still pick up the truck, and chalk your high bid amount up as a lesson learned.

beetle

It was obviously an old truck but like I said,I didnt expect the truck to look as good as the pictures. The engine also looked older. 50,000 miles difference isn't a poor description in my book,It's plain deceptive.When you write a number down it should be a fact not an opinion.I'm an honest guy & I guess I expect everone else to be the same. With that said I do get ripped off from time to time.At least I don't have trouble sleeping at night. I don't expect the trucks at GL to be perfect ,but I would hope that the people working there can read & write a number correctly. If not, I would hope they would be honest enough to give my money back & not hold it against me.Thanks for the listen Beetle :? :?

FreightTrain

Banned
heck,are you sure the truck was the same truck as pictured?Maybe the idiot took you to the wrong rig.Push comes to shove I would call them and demand the money back and if that doesn't work contact a lawyer and the big name news group in your area.Plus your congress Critter.Make as much stink as you can.

alphadeltaromeo

I think that instead of saying...shame on you...towards beetle, there needs to be a bit more grace given here. Let's not poo-poo beetle, but rather give some encouraging advice, as some have done.

ida34

I bought mine sight unseen as a runner and drove it home with new batteries and some new tires. Better than described in my opinion. I knew I was taking a chance but I could not take another day off to preview. The money was worth the chance because I got it for low money. The deal is what tells me what to do. If the price is low then my risk is lower. If it brought a premium price then I would not bid high unless I had looked at it. I did the same thing on a tax land sale. The picture showed a mobile home on the property and I assumed it was trashed. They gave the same preview disclaimers. I figured I would bid as if the mobile home was a total right off but it did mean there were electric, water, and septic hook ups already. When I won and went to look at the property I found that the picture was not of my property. The pics had been switched with the neighboring lot that also had a mobile home. After the picture was taken the old owner took all the siding and copper off both trailers and burned the trailer that was pictured in my auction but was the neighboring lands trailer. In the end I had to clean up the half of the trailer that did not fall down and there was more general trash on the property around my trailer. Point is that I take these risks because the bids are low. As far as I have seen the bids on GL are no longer low enough for me to bid without an inspection.

GL will continue to sell stuff the way they do until we stop buying from him. The folks that buy them to rebuild and resell will still buy them and will still make the money and they do not care about description because they may be getting 10 to 20 trucks at a time. What do they care. The lesson to learn is never trust a description. If you go and they tell you "this is the truck" and you verify in person what it is then when you pick it up they try to give you the wrong truck then you would have more of an actionable position. They should make an allowance for the odometer discrepancy but they will also bring up the should have looked at it point. Sorry to hear about your problem.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suck it up and pick it up. Whoever put in the ad probably dropped 1 digit by accident (6,500 could EASILY have been 60,500). Also remember alot of GL employees are off the street and have zero mil vehicle experience. GL, I am sure, puts in all these conditions just for these reasons. Also so many people bid without looking ahead at the item, I am guessing they would never get rid of 95% of the stuff sold if they did give refunds. I have seen boats for example that I would not have given 200$ for that sold for over 10K, most people don't inspect before bidding. Last the milage is hard to prove accurate anyway. A speedo can be changed in minutes and over 40 years, it's a good chance it is not original anyway. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks