• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disassambling Gauges for replace the glas

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi suffering comrades

My truck is a USMC from Barstow. Was sitting in the sun and sand for 13 years.
So the gauges glas is junk. Sandblasted an sunburnd.
552203C4-E45D-455D-9D30-B39D0B1A3196_1_105_c.jpeg2CC5E9A8-3F7A-49E7-A75A-5FA7D2A1330E_1_105_c.jpeg

I can get new glasses cut, but I have to open and measure the old ones first.
Is there an elegant way to open up the gauges? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Gerd

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They would be assembled like any other gauge, the bezel is crimped on, you can pry the crimp open and there are companies that can do this and re-install them without looking like crap but I have never been able to do it.
Others will comment with ways to restore the "glass" (I think it is actually plastic) IIRC brake cleaner was one but don't go by what I say alone.

waayfast

They would be assembled like any other gauge, the bezel is crimped on, you can pry the crimp open and there are companies that can do this and re-install them without looking like crap but I have never been able to do it.
Others will comment with ways to restore the "glass" (I think it is actually plastic) IIRC brake cleaner was one but don't go by what I say alone.

If indeed those gauge lenses are plastic, a medium autobody rubbing compound might shine them up. I have done several plastic headlights over the years with marked improvement. My 95 Ford Ranger and just recently my son's 2012 Toyota Tundra for him.
May be worth a try. YMMV

royg

definitely plastic. I had gauges with some paint overspray. I wrongly though they were glass and tried mek to clean up the overspray. The mek softened the plastic.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used magnesium polish on mine (the stuff made for wheels). Then after that got all the 'gunk' and deep scratches out, used the Meguiars Plastic cleaner and polish. Still some haze on the edge by the metal, but the middle the gauges are now clear.

87cr250r

Paints are plastic. Treat your plastic lenses the same way you would your paint. Acrylic is infinitely polishable. Polycarbonate does yellow in sunlight and there are limited to how much restoration is possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks