• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disassemble geared hubs

Vapor Trail

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of assembling the portal axles hubs but none that I found of disassembly. I’ve got the gears out and all the plates off but I don’t know how to get the spindle bearing off and the small gear bearings off without hurting them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are plenty of videos on YouTube of assembling the portal axles hubs but none that I found of disassembly. I’ve got the gears out and all the plates off but I don’t know how to get the spindle bearing off and the small gear bearings off without hurting them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
It is difficult to not damage them, if you want to reuse them why are you trying to remove them???

Vapor Trail

I don’t have to keep them. They seem ok but all the axles were gone so they had been open to water and I don’t know how many miles were on them. I already have all new bearing so if I have to beat them off so be it but I’m not putting it all back together with the old stuff. Can you explain how to get off?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be what the basic tool looks like , this would be used in a shop press for the smaller pinion bearings.
Bearing.jpg
But for the spindle bearing the wheel flange is too large to use a shop press so you would need a setup like this.
Bearing 1.jpg
I would strongly suggest taking the spindles and pinions to an automotive machine shop along with the new bearings, they have all the necessary tools and knowledge to do the job right as these tools are rather expensive and the cheapo Chicom stuff just don't cut it.
Even after you get the bearings off you still need a shop press and the correct accessories to press the new bearings on.

These have more of an interference fit than I would think would be required so all these operations are made significantly more difficult.

You will also need a dial indicator to set up the end play on the pinion shafts and a good torque wrench to set up the pre-load on the spindle bearings.
It also helps to have all the proper outer race drivers

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be what the basic tool looks like , this would be used in a shop press for the smaller pinion bearings.
View attachment 900795
But for the spindle bearing the wheel flange is too large to use a shop press so you would need a setup like this.
View attachment 900796
I would strongly suggest taking the spindles and pinions to an automotive machine shop along with the new bearings, they have all the necessary tools and knowledge to do the job right as these tools are rather expensive and the cheapo Chicom stuff just don't cut it.
Even after you get the bearings off you still need a shop press and the correct accessories to press the new bearings on.

These have more of an interference fit than I would think would be required so all these operations are made significantly more difficult.

You will also need a dial indicator to set up the end play on the pinion shafts and a good torque wrench to set up the pre-load on the spindle bearings.
It also helps to have all the proper outer race drivers
There's a pinion gear in a hub??????????? Too much time on the beach is my guess.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a pinion gear in a hub??????????? Too much time on the beach is my guess.
Sorry SPUR gear
But
" A pinion is a round gear—usually the smaller of two meshed gears—used in several applications, including drivetrain and rack and pinion systems"
The parts book calls it a spur gear but calling it a pinion is not incorrect.
I have the final drive torn down on my little 350 JD and had to order a pinion gear so I guess that stuck in my head, again not incorrect as this gear does the same thing the spur gear in the HMMWV does.
Pinion.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: cwc

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a machine shop near you, again I suggest having a pro remove and install the bearings.
I have done it but cannot suggest my method to the general public.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut the cage off with dremel and then use a bearing cutter on inside body of bearing..

Then the fun part, stick the spindle in freezer to shrink it, and boil the bearing in a baggie to expand it.. Then quickly assemble and pray.. Shop press helps also..

Id take it to a machine shop..

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

I think I could use my puller if I knew how to get the spindle extension out. That extra inch keeps the puller arms from reaching. I can't grip it and when you take the plug out of the flange end you can't knock it out. I have presses to put everything back together and a lathe to make the proper spacers for pushing so i don't think going together is going to be a problem

87cr250r

Do you have an acetylene torch? Once the cage is off turn the spindle upside-down and heat the inner race a rapidly as you can. It will fall right off.

Vapor Trail

So I tried heating with a torch upside down knocking it off and it didn't work. I ended up making two diagonal cuts opposite each other and it worked well . You just can't go too deep and then you hit with a chisel. I went too deep on one and put a groove in it so I'll probably buy a new one for that hub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks