• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

disassembling an M101A2

TITANBOW

Hi,
Earlier this summer, I got a great deal on govplanet, on an M101a2. Its in pretty decent shape, this winter I want to really just get it taken apart, knock any surface rust off, and then repaint the thing. I am planning on doing a grey or silver, and black frame, to match my silver truck. Question I have, whats the best way to go about disassembling one of these things? Is it something a guy could do by himself in the garage?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a frame off and 4 able bodies can lift off the bed. Carriage bolts in slots hold the bed. Not hard to do and straightforward. Parts are out there if needed.

TITANBOW

Thanks guys, looking at it sitting in my garage, it doesnt look like it would be that difficult. I am kind of a loner, so I was scratching my head how I could do it by myself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, looking at it sitting in my garage, it doesnt look like it would be that difficult. I am kind of a loner, so I was scratching my head how I could do it by myself.
It's amazing what can be accomplished with a little resource management. I went to Baxley GA to pick up a Dodge M887. The contact body was not on the truck when I got there. With patience and time the seller and I were able to put it on the truck with blocks, 4x4s and an old 60's era bumper jack. Gave me new found respect for the bumper jack or jaque!

John Galt

I have done several bed removals myself. I used a high lift, 4 pipe stands, 2 lengths of pipe.

10 carriage bolts and 6-8 hex bolts hold the bed on.

The tub weighs 400-500 lbs.

There are pics in my expo threads.

I would not take the tub off in the garage unless you have a way to move it. You will want the garage space to do the frame mods/work.

I remove most of the bolts then find an out of the way/level spot to remove the tub.

Last edited:

harleyhouse

Four saw horses and myself to remove the tub. You can use the frame as a lever when lifting the tub off.
Nose down first to take the rear off, then proceed to the front. Spray all the hardware with penetrating oil a couple days before ho help removal. There are also bolts centered under the tub lip front and rear.

Attachments