• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster Averted... Just to find a new problem

AZdeuce5t

I was Driving the truck home from work yesterday and noticed the brake pedal was going a little further south than usual and wasn't being as effective as it should. so i limped it home, realizing i was on the verge of an imminent brake failure. Disaster Averted!!

after doing some research on what, how, and in what order to check. I started out with checking break fluid. yep way low. filled it up and started looking for the leak... after spending about an hour looking for the brake fluid leak i came up empty handed. Im still stumped as to where its leaking!

while looking for the Brake leak i found a different kind of leak. the hose that goes from the Engine block to the IP supplying oil was leaking.. I checked the torque of the fittings and both were tight. then realized its not the fitting thats leaking but the flare on the hose allowing the hose to rotate freely inside the nut. removed the hose and fittings and realized the entire flare cracked off allowing oil to blow by.

now ive got to find someone who can make custom hoses. Any idea for the Phoenix area? all i can think of taking the part to Empire Cat and see if they can duplicate it

panshark

next time you realize that you're on the verge of imminent brake failure, shut down and effect a roadside repair (or call a wrecker). The 60-year old technology on your 40-year old truck gives you a very thin margin of error. If you experience a failure with single circuit brakes, instead of reduced braking you get no braking.

Depending on how low your brake fluid was, you might need to bleed the lines after you've topped it off. During your daily pre-trip inspection, have you been checking the brake fluid level? It's on the list. Did the brake fluid level drop in small amounts, or a large amount all at once?

Some guys expect leaks of one kind or another to be occurring with these old trucks. Since you don't have a ton of brake fluid to lose in the first place, this is a pretty serious leak. Some guys give themselves an extra margin (and make the pre-trip easier) by installing a remote brake fluid reservoir. You might want to look at setting one up after you get your problem fixed.

Do you have someone who can press the brake while you're underneath, looking for a leak? Remember to chock the truck, put the t-case in neutral so they don't run over you. I'm thinking that you would want to do this check with the engine on so that the air-assist is applying it's normal, tremendous pressure to the brake system.

Don't be afraid to take the tires off to inspect the brake shoes and wheel cylinders. Seems like the cylinders might be one of the parts that a lot of people have to deal with maintaining.

Regarding the hose--you might get out of the door a lot cheaper looking for a used part than getting a custom hose fabbed up. Lot of good parts suppliers online. There's usually an ad for one of them at the top of the site page.

Sorry if part of my answer seemed rude, I hope you get your truck fixed!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A pressure bleeder works GREAT to hunt for leaks

As for the cracked/broken flare, that is common when the connection is over tightened, some times BUBBA thinks he is the 500 lb gorilla and put all 500 lbs on a little etty bitty fittin, thinken "TIGHT IS GOOD, SUPER TIGHT IS BETTER"

o1951

next time you realize that you're on the verge of imminent brake failure, shut down and effect a roadside repair (or call a wrecker). The 60-year old technology on your 40-year old truck gives you a very thin margin of error. If you experience a failure with single circuit brakes, instead of reduced braking you get no braking.

Sorry if part of my answer seemed rude, I hope you get your truck fixed!
Having had a brake failure on a single circuit brake system years ago, I am a strong proponent of converting to dual master cylinder brakes like modern trucks. Dual master cylinder does not mean 2 master cylinders - it is all in 1 unit, just 2 pistons. Look at your civy vehicle and you will see.

At least this way, when brakes fail, you usually have at least 1/2 the system.

I have changed over cars and trucks - but NOT a Deuce.

Usually this is very easy to do - front and rear lines usually join at a T near master cylinder, then one line to MC. I replace T with 2 couplings and a dual master cylinder - bolts right up to where single was. Pipe front to front cylinder, rear to rear. Resecure brake lines if necessary, blead system, All done.

Last edited:

Tlauden

My advice, make a pressure bleeder, well worth the money, I got less than $20 invested in mine and it makes life so much easier. Secondly make a glad hand hook up for your air. I believe I bought a glad hand for ~$10 and then the proper fittings to reduce it down to a male air chuck, hook it on your air compressor, set the psi for about 95psi and use that to work with the air lines on the truck. It will give you the same effect as if the truck was sitting there running, only a wee bit quieter. Haha ;)

I would bleed your brake system, put it on dry ground and check for a leak, it could be a seeping leak or a very obvious leak. It takes time. If its still not obvious I would start pulling tires and looking at the cylinders. This may also be a good time to replace your brake shoes while you have everything ripped apart at each hub. My deuce has been sitting for almost 9 months due to brake issues. In my book it's the most important area not to be cheap on.

As to the oil line I would imaging any good auto shop could fab one up for you. Ask around, maybe a buddy has a flaring tool. It's amazing what friends have hidden in the toolbox haha. If all else fails I'm sure you can find a good take off from a parts deuce somewhere.

Best of luck to ya
Tyler

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the oil line changed before you use the truck again. Mine ruptured at the flare, what a mess. The stretch of road in front of my house for about 100 yards contained almost the entire sump contents:shock::shock:.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm getting some of those IP oil hoses made as we speak. Let me know if you can't find a place near you easily.

3ID ARMY BRAT

Hersh Packing & Rubber Co, They do about any thing when it comes to Hydraulic Hose, Fittings ,Gaskets, Expansion Joints, Sealants you name it they do it. There here in Columbus Ohio. I'm having all my lines an gaskets made buy them.

AZdeuce5t

Thanks guys for all the support and ideas.

i was safe about limping the truck home. i was less than a mile going less than 5mph. im not a moron out to kill someone one but i do appreciate the concern! the last thing i would ever want to is hurt someone or myself!

ill look into the pressure bleeder system today but for now i think ill use a buddy to help me locate the leak. (ive looked at everything i could under the truck so i think its time the wheels to come off to inspect the cylinders).

thanks for the the ideas for the new oil hose. im going to try a few local places here in phx, and if i can find what i need ill expand my search to a few of your out of state recommendations.

i wish i had a another Deuce just rusting in my backyard i could use as a parts truck!

once again guys, thanks for the Support!!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a new hose made for mine, braided stainless steel. While you're at it, swivels on both ends will cut your colorful vocabulary in half, or more, when installing it.

AZdeuce5t

went down to Empire Cat's Hydraulic Service center this morning. after about 5 mins they gave me a brand new hose with fittings and only cost me 13 bucks! nice guys and WAY FAST service!

Picture is of the old and new. i cut the old one to remove the other fitting as i was rounding the brass with a wrench and had to use 1/2" socket. it looks like they used JB weld as a thread locker lol

now to pull the wheels to inspect cylinders

Attachments