• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster generators

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Friends that are out of the country(Aguila) have been hit by Irma and it looks like they will be out of power for 6 weeks to 6 months. I was asked to source a genset or two for them since they know I have mil-surp generators.
I am sure they are not as mechanically inclined as I am.
I am not sure an mep003 is the best option to send.
What is your guys opinion?

I know I could find an 003 and send it down, but I will not be able to support it/them. I got a job working too many hours to be available like I used to be. I know the 3phase side will not be needed. Is there a civi unit that would be better?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would find out what the availabilty is for fuel... no generator is going to help if they can't keep it full.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on knowing the fuel availability.

How much power is needed?

If you need to send down a crate that can be opened and put to work with a minimal of drama I would recommend a new unit and not a retired military unit.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would probably shoot for one of these $1k Honda inverter generators, if they have access to gasoline. I imagine its just decimation down there... so it might simply be a 'feel human again' thing to get some lights working, maybe a small refridgerator, etc.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming the storm itself is no longer an issue, maybe a solar pannel and battery charging system hooked up to some leds and small refrigerator(kept clossed at night as much as possible).

Guyfang

Staff member
Gimp,

we need more info. Do they have big requirements? Or something small. A house, without lots of do-dads, or a house, barn, water pump and so on. Yeah, fuel and mechanical ability is also good to know. Are you going down to set it up? Or send it down and someone who hopefully knows what to do will set it up? A couple of folks, or 15-20 people? A guesstimate on time of outage is also good to know. If it is on the long side, then a cheapo gen set may not be good if it needs to run 24/7. A week maybe two, ok. But anything over two weeks, I would lean towards mil-spec. But in any case, more info.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dad has a MEP-002 and he ran it for days 0 issues.
That is great when you have a good running machine. If you are looking to acquire one on short notice and have no history with it the risk of it not working as expected will be much higher.

If you have time to replace all the hoses, fluids, and give it a good run.. I'd say go for it.

Bmxenbrett

Gimppyrob im prob a little far away but i have a 802a thats been fully load tested and fluids changed for sale. Im near newburgh NY.

gimpyrobb

Gimp,

we need more info. Do they have big requirements? Or something small. A house, without lots of do-dads, or a house, barn, water pump and so on. Yeah, fuel and mechanical ability is also good to know. Are you going down to set it up? Or send it down and someone who hopefully knows what to do will set it up? A couple of folks, or 15-20 people? A guesstimate on time of outage is also good to know. If it is on the long side, then a cheapo gen set may not be good if it needs to run 24/7. A week maybe two, ok. But anything over two weeks, I would lean towards mil-spec. But in any case, more info.
I know.
Its hard to explain these things to people that are not mechanically inclined. I tried to explain 3 phase and single, 50/60hz, rpm, and load requirements.

All I heard in return was crickets.

I will post up once I know more, thanks guys!

Chainbreaker

Also, do you know how do they plan to use it...Hooked into house, spider box, or extension cords? Just to make sure, verify its single phase 120/240 60 Hz. If whole-house hookup, is there already a generator inlet hookup or transfer panel installed? What style connector would generator female end be required to mate to? If no hookup installed or time to do it there are other non-code haphazard methods but I would not be one to recommend them not knowing the skill of the user(s).

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Also, what is their budget? Can they afford something new and top shelf like a commercial Perkins, Kubota, Kohler, etc. genset that can be used for future outages? Or, are they wanting used load tested mil-spec avg price genset? Or, something low budget to get just get a refrigerator and couple of lights lit? Shipping cost is going to be astronomical for a 1,000+ lb. heavy unit!

rustystud

I agree with all the suggestions here. For my 2cents I would get a good 5KW Honda unit and send it. Pretty easy to use and very reliable. A little spendy over the other brands out there though, but worth the extra cost. That way they can at least get some lights and the frig going again.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats why I mentioned Honda the first go around. There are less expensive models... I just know Honda generators last. Ive got a 5kw gas unit thats going on almost 25 years now, and she still puts out nice power.

gimpyrobb

That is a major concern for me. How safe will it be till they can pick it up. I would imagine a genset would be a hot commodity in a place with power issues.

Chainbreaker

If they want it...they better have someone at the dock or runway ready to pick it up as it arrives. The bad news is another tropical depression, Maria, soon to become hurricane intensity is headed in that general direction. So shipping could be an issue if the weather situation closes off commercial shipping in/out of area in a week or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks