• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disaster In Hooks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am filling out a complaint form to GL as soon as I finish this post. Yes, I did inspect the truck prior to bidding, it is in great shape showing less than 6500 miles since rebuild! James G.

And what are you going to complain about? Not to be a jerk - but you just said that the truck was in great shape. You also said it started and ran well enough you were going to drive it home. I really hate to hear of the bad luck that you had, but these are the perils of buying surplus direct. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, othertimes you just pump your money in the OD slot machine.

Went through the same thing years ago with DRMO - bought a great lucking truck, hauled a pair of batterie up to Campbell, checked everything out, through the batteries in and it lit right off - put it in gear, wouldn't move out of its tracks - clutch totally gone. The came the hiring of the flatbed.

Hope you get it fixed soon, and enjoy what sounds like a super good truck.

Regards,
David

saddamsnightmare

January 9th, 2009.

Oh Ye of little faith!

The man bought a piece of junk from GL....... If it needs only the oil cooler replaced to make it run, then quit yer "itchin! If you bid more then bottom line scrap on the truck, then you took yourself to the cleaners.... After all, these aren't new trucks and aren't expected to be, they came off a dead line and they have all the usual ills of an ancient machine hard used. the old latin term "Caveat Emptor" applies here today. If you're really lucky, GL'll send you and OD surplus towel to weep upon.

Just my .02, take it for what it's worth and learn better next time......

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

ida34

Runs and drives. :driver: I am sure they did not say for how long. While I really hate defending GL they are not a car lot. They give no warranty at all. I hate to hear about the problem with the truck but those are the breaks when we go for the GL price instead of the Memphis Equipment price. At least that sounds like it will be an easy fix. I would not run it at all until you get it fixed. Coolant might also be leaking into the oil and diluting it.

Sorry but GL gives us enough to legitimately complain about. In this case I don't think you have a legit complaint.

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil Cooler

Anyone know the part number for the civi oil cooler on the 818? The surplus guys told me to just pickup one locally? I want to but they want engine number/serial numbers to match the cooler? I want to go pickup the truck Sat., time is short!
James G.

PS: No response yet from GL

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
818 Is Home

After our fourth trip to Hooks we were successful. We traveled down with genset, pump and 55 gallons of water. Picked up all our o rings and gaskets in Little Rock on the way down. Pulled the old cooler cleaned up the block and tried for two hours to mount it my the book. Gasket on the block along with an oring and brass crush ring on the cooler, never worked until I threw the crush ring into the pasture then everything went to gather in ten minutes! Rinsed her out twice with Cascade producing thirty gallons of really gray water. Filled her one last time and started out for home, 4.5 hours and 240 miles later we made it with no incident! In fifth gear with my foot on the floor at 2000rpm we motored along at 52 miles per hour. Seemed slow and idles very slow around 4-500 rpm. A few things to look at now that she is home, a real relief.
James G.

Attachments

Last edited:

joec

O Yee of Little Faith, I am sure the folks at GL will be understanding of my plight. I made the inspection, the actual day the auction ended, made my bid on what I saw; the truck was not drivable since none of the 40 trucks up for sale had batteries! The truck was not residue, I had made a good faith effort, and I am sure they will too! . I have to give the opportunity to do the right thing and change all of your opinions of their customer service! Besides nothing ventured nothing gained
James G.

I for one have been around a couple of Cummins in my time and understand the problem with the oil cooler leaking. And lining up the timing marks on the cooler is crucial. They can go on you when you don't expect it.

Joe

motormayhem

You have to get a picture of your new truck with that little trailer you have hooked to it.rofl

Glad to hear success.

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too Bad for Me

GL's response was the same as the last two times I complained, TOO BAD TOO SAD, AS IS, WHERE IS! I am pretty well done with GL, I have the trucks I have wanted and they are so poorly run I am going GSA from now own, no fees, you get your title when you pay, and they don't jack with you the way GL does!
Robb I will see what Cummings charged me for the o rings or the brass crush ring?
James

PS: A good picture is going to be my new Lubrication trailer behind the M543, once i get them both painted that is!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rings

When I pulled the oil cooler off the block there was a brass/copper crush ring on the bottom ob the oil cooler element. No o ring just this crush ring fitting flush with the bottom of the cooler, there was also a good gasket there too. We tried to use the gasket, o ring and crush ring but could never get a seal, the crush ring was too thick for the gasket to seal. So I lost the crush ring and everything fit fine, We do have a little oil weeping through one of the bolt holes, i assume the locktite failed after we tried mounting the thing 20 times?
I looked up the cost on the o ring was $1.74 and the crush ring was $11.26.

James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks