• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc brake conversion problem (help)

bushhawg73

After reading many threads on SS I decided to change from drum to disc in the rear of my 84 M1008. I bought the brackets from DIY4X.com and picked up the rotors and calipers from NAPA. The NAPA stuff was bought for a 1984 K20 front axle. I thought I was good until today when I was installing. The rotors and brackets fit great and the calipers begin to slide on ok but then they stopped. The heal of my hand is then needed to move them a little more and finally a good old fasion hammer, rubber deadblow, is needed to get them in the final position. Once they are in line and I can install the caliper bolts they are so tight I can not tun the rotor. There are two heavy scratch marks on the backside of the new brackets.

The answer seems to be pretty easy to me but I want the advise of others who have done the swap. I think the caliper ear where the bolt hole is located, top and bottom, is a little to thick. I think that if I ground off approximately 1/16 of an inch the calipers would fit fine.

I am also having trouble with the wheel bearing nuts. I thought the DANA 60 socket I have would work but it does not. I looked at the TM and determined that I need a Kent Moore J2222-C. I am not having any luck finding one locally, any ideas.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary :D

dstang97

I had to grind down my calipers in order to bolt them to the bracket. It was a long time ago and it was very little grinding.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What rotors did you use? Got some pics? FWIW your Dana 60 socket should be a 6 tit one and for all intents, should work. If your socket only has 4 tits it might be fot the Dana 44.

bushhawg73

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is the correct socket. I have the same socket but it doesn't have the "A" at the end of the part number. Mine is 25+ years old and chrome as well. I've done countless rears with this socket including disc brake coversion back in 1985.

pigfoot63

Kent Moore which I think is now SPX part# J-2222-C I have one of these. They are a little pricey. I also found a AmPRO T72049 which I think Advance Auto has. Google these numbers and have a look.

bushhawg73

The socket I have and tried to use was the Snap on S6146, it has 4 tits. The nut has 6 small holes so I am thinking I would need the S6109A or one like it. The Snap on price is shocking.

The calipers and rotors are from NAPA and they are
Caliper - CAL N4760 & CAL N4759
Rotors - NB 4885677

Thanks for the AMPRO suggestion, I will check into that.

I am still of the opinion that some small caliper grinding is needed, unless others suggest other options that is the plan.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear axle is GM Corp 14T 10.5in Ring pinion and I only use a socket on them.
Did you buy the brackit for the GM or the dana they will not inter change.

Last edited:

bushhawg73

I bought the GM bracket, here is a link to what I bought.
14 Bolt Full Floating Disc conversion Kit

The only other thing I can think of is that since I can not torque the bearings at this point, I do not have the correct socket, that the brackets will fit better once the bearings are fully seated. I was only doing a test fit since I knew I was stuck without the correct socket.

Last edited:

notsosanestan

i got mine from him also and i have to tap in on the tabs that hold the caliper on to get it to fit i also sanded down the pads before i did that. my calipers hit on the sides a lil bit too cause of paint. I got my socket from the local auto parts store and it has 6 sides but the ends are rounded they need to be for a 14bff my friend gave me one to use without the rounded sides and it would not work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The socket I have and tried to use was the Snap on S6146, it has 4 tits. The nut has 6 small holes so I am thinking I would need the S6109A or one like it. The Snap on price is shocking.

The calipers and rotors are from NAPA and they are
Caliper - CAL N4760 & CAL N4759
Rotors - NB 4885677

Thanks for the AMPRO suggestion, I will check into that.

I am still of the opinion that some small caliper grinding is needed, unless others suggest other options that is the plan.
I own mostly Snap-On, followed up by Mac and a small amount of Cornwell. Over the years I have come up with a pricing theory for folks not familiar with Snap-On and its pretty close. Imagine the very most a tool could possibly cost, double that and add 10% and that will get you close to their pricing. My stuff is 25+ years old and I like it much better than new Snap-On.

bushhawg73

Recovery I completly agree and I also own mostly Snap on wih some Mac, Cornwell and Matco mixed in in very small numbers. I have no problem dropping 400.00 on their new impact guns and love the new 80 tooth ratchets. They have a new 80 teeth 1/2 inch drive ratchet that is almost 25 inches long that I have been drooling over for a while. The 190.00 price tag does not scare me, I had just rather put some work (money) into the M1008. As I get a little older I am choosing what I buy a little more carefully. The impact I would use a lot, the 90.00 hub socket - not so much. I am still looking for the J2222 socket. One day I will find a deal on one. Just not today.

Thanks for all your help.:beer:

Brent.Cain

Your problem is the brake pads you have two deferent types of brake pads and calipers you can run if u but the calipers make a deference on the clamping force and if u wanna run an after market psi. Valve the pads are deferent cause one is thicker then the other if you run either over 3inch bore caliper you need the smaller pads and if u run the smaller flailed you need the smaller pads also I found this out on my truck also cause when u got ur stuff from napa they probably didn't ask you what size rear drums u have not like it matters cause ur doing a custom set up but the 3/4ton had a heavy duty and a light duty one was 11.5 rear drum and the other was a 10.5drum but if I was you I would do like I have mine and run the larger bore piston calipers

Brent.Cain

And u have the same axle nuts I have and they are round with half moon spots in them when ur axle nut socket would grab onto and its not a square cut nut like the front for ur 60 best bet might to be change it over the older square cut nut and do it that away like the front with two nuts and a lock ring that u bend down the tabs