• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disc Brake Engineering Thread

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, let's not forget that this thread is about Deuce disc brakes...!
And let me apologize as well Gringletaube. Though Casa Azul is not a military truck, you guys are the only people in the US that seem to be doing performance improvements to medium heavy duty all wheel drive trucks.

I really appreciate when you guys share your knowledge with me!

Goomer214

I'll just say this, in the transit industry they played around with using disc brakes for a few years. Now they all are using drum brakes again. There is a reason for this, on a large rig like a bus which makes frequent stops the heat generated by the discs would cause the wheel bearings to fry since all the grease would melt out. We had busses that we would test after running their route. Some would reach over 600 degrees at the spindle ! The grease was literally squirting out the breather holes ! With brakes as large as yours (15"X8" ) I would not even bother.
In Europe they use disc brakes on big trucks with success

merlot566jka

Read the whole thread... Very good coverage of brakes...

But in the end, did any one spell out what to buy to put discs on our trucks?

I found a disc brake kit on fleabay, but it's not presented well and it's from HI...

I want to put disc brakes on my deuce asap, but I am so lost after reading this post.

Can we spell it all out without a debate??

Front:
Caliper Part Number ________
Rotor Part Number _________
Bracket Source___________
Inner bearing and race PN______
Outer bearing and race PN_______
Wheel Studs?
Machining??

Rears:
Wheel Studs?
Machining??

Keepthemrunning

There are so many arguments for disks, but you have the gist of it. water or mud or sand are hard on Drums but the best reason to switch to disks is the ease of service and you have the ability to check that everything is good by simply looking, It's all exposed and leeks or loose stuff can be seen. Oh they STOP better. WHICH IS WHAT BRAKES DO ?

rustystud

There are so many arguments for disks, but you have the gist of it. water or mud or sand are hard on Drums but the best reason to switch to disks is the ease of service and you have the ability to check that everything is good by simply looking, It's all exposed and leeks or loose stuff can be seen. Oh they STOP better. WHICH IS WHAT BRAKES DO ?
They will also cost you 3 times what your deuce is worth too. Disc brakes are a great idea but expensive. Water, mud and dirt is also hard on disc brakes too. Ever seen a pebble get stuck between a brake pad and rotor ? I have and it's not a pretty sight. Disc brakes also can warp badly when driven into water when there hot. So be careful off-roading. As a mechanic I love working on disc brakes. Easy to replace pads and if you catch them soon enough you don't have to cut the rotor. But when you do have to cut the rotor they can be just as much a pain as drums.

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the whole thread... Very good coverage of brakes...

But in the end, did any one spell out what to buy to put discs on our trucks?

I found a disc brake kit on fleabay, but it's not presented well and it's from HI...

I want to put disc brakes on my deuce asap, but I am so lost after reading this post.

Can we spell it all out without a debate??

Front:
Wheel Studs?
Machining??

Rears:
Wheel Studs?
Machining??
Yes it is a lot of questions, that is why i only sold complete front and rear disc brakes in kit form. But after 16 years of 2 1 /2 ton Rockwell axles i have discontinued all Rockwell axles and related parts.

Keepthemrunning

I have been running the ones on fleebay for 3 years carying 26,000lbs and dipping them in salt water 6 times a day, hot and cold. still work good. pads,calipers and rotors are from Napa. Can not beat the price.

rustystud

I have been running the ones on fleebay for 3 years carying 26,000lbs and dipping them in salt water 6 times a day, hot and cold. still work good. pads,calipers and rotors are from Napa. Can not beat the price.
What truck are you driving ? A deuce ? Also if your driving into salt water 6 times a day I would not want to be the mechanic who must work on your brakes. You do realize that is not a good idea ?

Keepthemrunning

M35A3 and M36A3.
The service life of the Disk brake set up is 98 times better than drums. So mechanic is happy. Add to that, that they stop better, are cheeper to replace, Time and parts after initial set up. Add to that the strain that it take off the master cly and other brake related items you end up with a great system and I am very happy. From a cost point, If you need to replace your brakes, work it out. The difference is negligible and with occasional use you will not have to do it again and you can feel safe with a quick pre trip inspection and not worry about that seal in the drum blowing out when you have to stop when that crazy guy cuts in front at the light. You know he will.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last guy i sold my large disc brakes to ( front only ) installed them on his M35A2 and sent me an email, and i quote " my brakes now are 200% better than before", thanks.

rustystud

M35A3 and M36A3.
The service life of the Disk brake set up is 98 times better than drums. So mechanic is happy. Add to that, that they stop better, are cheeper to replace, Time and parts after initial set up. Add to that the strain that it take off the master cly and other brake related items you end up with a great system and I am very happy. From a cost point, If you need to replace your brakes, work it out. The difference is negligible and with occasional use you will not have to do it again and you can feel safe with a quick pre trip inspection and not worry about that seal in the drum blowing out when you have to stop when that crazy guy cuts in front at the light. You know he will.
I can tell from your post you are not a heavy truck mechanic. I've worked in this industry for almost 40 years now and I'm one of a very few who have worked on heavy truck disc brakes so I know what I'm talking about. Disc brakes are better then drums in many ways, but cost is not one of them. Also longevity is not one of them. You will on average replace disc pads two to three times before you will replace one set of drum brake shoes. Also the cost of truck rotors is greater then drums, and yes you will be replacing those rotors. Yes the disc brakes will stop an average size car or truck faster then drums, but in large trucks this advantage goes way down. At the transit agency we must perform brake stop tests (federal law) on every bus 4 times a year. We had one of the only busses in the world at the time with disc brakes. It was a 60 ft articulated unit. During the stop tests it performed the same as the 60ft articulated drum system busses. The tests consist of driving up to 20 mph then putting the transmission into neutral and then slamming on the brakes. The force of the brake apply was also calculated in each stop. The busses had to pass at "0.50 G force" and a certain distance of travel. The busses with disc's performed the same as drum brake systems. This is also what happened on over the road "semi-trucks" during the late 1970's when they decided to go with disc brakes. At that time I was working at IHC trucks so I remember very well what had happened. There is a reason that today there are NO busses with disc brakes on them (cost). Also name a semi-truck manufacturer that is using disc brakes ( again cost). You can get the same stopping power with cheaper drums then using the much more expensive disc brake system. Remember at the end of the day all we want to do is STOP the vehicle. If your totally locking the wheel not allowing it to turn then you will not be stopping. Back to the disc brake busses. We could increase the pressure to the disc's so much that they would lock up the wheels. Trust me you do NOT want to be driving that with locked wheels ! Your stopping distance was totally out of line with any standard ! Now back to our deuce. If you keep the brakes adjusted properly they will lock up all the wheels ! That tells me that we have totally adequate braking ability on our trucks.
That being said, if I had the money I would go with disc brakes not because they would be any safer but they sure would be cooler as in "that's way cool ! " .

Last edited:

red

Rusty some of our new tractors have disk brakes, big improvement from the ones a few years ago. With disks at all 6 truck hubs and drums on the trailers 4 they are down to 210ft stopping distance from 60mph with 80k pounds. The air disks from 5 years ago are not that good. Latest generation drums are at 250ft.

quickfarms

Rusty some of our new tractors have disk brakes, big improvement from the ones a few years ago. With disks at all 6 truck hubs and drums on the trailers 4 they are down to 210ft stopping distance from 60mph with 80k pounds. The air disks from 5 years ago are not that good. Latest generation drums are at 250ft.
That is with abs on all wheels.

How do they compare for heat fade? That has always been the Achilles heel of large truck disc brakes.

rustystud

Are these 80,000 GVW trucks ? Using "ABS" I wouldn't be surprised, but drums brakes have had "ABS" on them since the late 1970's. Most over-the road truckers despised them I remember since it takes the control out of their hands. Who is the manufacturer of the trucks Red ? Last time I looked Kenworth and Peterbilt and Freightliner where still just using drums. The "air over hydraulic" systems where an expensive pain and the "air only" systems could not build enough pressure for the disc pistons. There still is the total hydraulic system but again that is very expensive for an over the road truck as they still must connect to trailers that do not have hydraulic brakes, so they must have a compressor and valving to allow for this connection.

red

80k gvw Kenworth trucks, 2015 model year. They are air disks, no hydraulics with the brakes. The switch is optional. The latest drums will pass, but are not as good.

The disk setup is pretty compact. Air can is attached to the caliper, so no rod or cam to adjust or find a place to mount with a conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks