• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

disc brakes on M35A2

keithc

I recently bought an M35A2 that had been wrecked in the front. The guy I bought it from did not know any details because he bought it wrecked as well. The truck has disc brakes, but no pedal (goes to the floor). The calipers are made by U.S. Brake- F33i's and are located on all 6 hubs. The master cylinder and lines appear to be stock. I have been reading a lot of threads on SS and brake failures seem to be fairly common. I plan to try and bleed the lines and see if the brakes will work at all. Any suggestions?

Keith C.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
:twisted:Well, they didn't come with disk brakes so your guess is as good as ours. I would build a pressure bleeder and see if bleeding helps. Can you post some pics for us? The possibility of disks is interesting. Unless they are why its wrecked! :twisted:

avengeusa

those are 150 bucks each at summit racing........

aluminum, dual piston, stainless piston, maybe a little light for our applications......

I need to see the rotors......

Last edited:

mudguppy

i've been doing a lot of research on this topic - currently, no one makes a "kitted" disc brake conversion package capable of the GVWRs of the deuce. all of these kits are aimed at rock crawlers and lighter mud trucks. Differential Engineering has the best offering, but will only suggest application on a rig up to 8k lbs. mainly, the front brake design is not beefy enough - the rear(s) would be fine.

however, when i spoke w/ them last month, they said they would be beta testing a larger (15"+) front brake rotor combined w/ F550 calipers that would be up to the task. still don't see anything on the 'site and haven't spoken with them since.

otherwise, the next best thing is using a F600 rotor, F550 caliper, and making your own caliper mounting brackets. the rotor and/or hub will also need some machining.

keithc

Yeah, I looked at the calipers at Summit as well. The pads run about $50 for 4. Have not gotten a chance to look at the rotors real good. Hope to get the tires off this w/e to get a better look. The calipers call for DOT 3 and the stock MC calls for DOT 5. Wonder if that could have caused a problem?

keithc

The brackets for the calipers look like a factory job, but maybe the previous owner drilled his own holes for mounting. I wish I could get in touch with him. Will get a better look Saturday.

Keith

66m35a26x6

Hi im new to this.
And I know this is an old post
Any info on that would be great.
and was wondering if you ever got pics
of your 6way disc brakes .
And did you ever get it to bleed up
does it work fine with the stock master cylinder?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks