• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Discontinued steering column ignition parts

markg

This is what is called a rack, wich comes off the key cylinder to push the rod to start your cucv truck. ive been looking for one . the gm part number is 7843368. it has been discontinued. my local dealer gave me a list of the remaining dealers that showed this in inventory. some people may need this info.
lynch chevy,auburn,al
thompson motor co, blakely,ga
athens chevy,athens,ga
volunteer chevy,sevierville,tn
burns chevy,gaffney.sc

Attachments

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that part is available after market in the Help/motormite/doorman line.

I seem to remember selling it in my other lifetime in parts.

Dig through their website:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/

If they do make it, then take their part number and cross to NAPA. They will carry it in their Balkamp line.

Good Hunting!

markg

Thanks for the info, i was at 3 parts stores today and found nothing, nobody could cross the gm part number, and the number dorman gives is not my number. it looks like it will work, though. thanks

When you run the application on dorman's website it says this part will not work. shows 93-94 gm truck. with a little trimming i think it will work.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say but the industry today only knows how to use a computer. When I first started, there were these things called catalogs and illustrated parts guides...

I also owned the cucv's cousin, must have had 4 80's 3/4 suburbans in the day.

RedneckRanger

I ran into the same problem while trying to rebuild my non-tilt column. Needed the rack and a couple other parts and could not find them anywhere. I finally just sent the entire column to Wayne at GM Tilt Steering . He had the parts and turned my column around very quickly. Might be worth a shot to check with him and see if he has what you need or where you can get them.

Last edited:

markg

I ran into the same problem while trying to rebuild my non-tilt column. Needed the rack and a couple other parts and could not find them anywhere. I finally just sent the entire column to Wayne at GM Tilt Steering . He had the parts and turned my column around very quickly. Might be worth a shot to check with him and see if he has what you need or where you can get them.
Thanks for the info, im going to try modifying the dorman part, and if that doesnt fix it ill visit my local pick-in-pull . i have another parts truck but it has a tilt wheel, and i could go that route also. thanks. mark

Mark,I to ran into a similar problem and I fixed my original cucv steering column 3 times and they are just old and warn out and parts are getting harder to find for them.So I found a 89-91 Chevy suburban Column with tilt and replaced both of my columns with those and I have had the tilt column in my 85 m1008 for over 2 years and haven't had any issues I would say pull the column out and replace it with a newer column.One thing to keep in mind and I found this out the hard way make sure you keep the lower half(I think they call it a rag joint it bolts to your column and then goes to the steering gear box)on the new column as your old style wont fit the new column at least mine didn't and I tried several different ones. Its best to take both pieces from the donor vehicle otherwise you will have to hunt like I did.Good luck

markg

Mark,I to ran into a similar problem and I fixed my original cucv steering column 3 times and they are just old and warn out and parts are getting harder to find for them.So I found a 89-91 Chevy suburban Column with tilt and replaced both of my columns with those and I have had the tilt column in my 85 m1008 for over 2 years and haven't had any issues I would say pull the column out and replace it with a newer column.One thing to keep in mind and I found this out the hard way make sure you keep the lower half(I think they call it a rag joint it bolts to your column and then goes to the steering gear box)on the new column as your old style wont fit the new column at least mine didn't and I tried several different ones. Its best to take both pieces from the donor vehicle otherwise you will have to hunt like I did.Good luck
Thanks for the info. i repaired the rack by joining the two bad pieces together with a metal strap, and so far its working fine. i have two other parts trucks, one with a tilt wheel but its an 82, dimmer switch is on the floor, and another 1008 thats pretty well picked over. our local pick-n-pull yard sells truck steering column's for 49.00 wich i think is a good price. ill remember the tip, thanks. mark

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks