• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disenchanted with m1009, Rather have an M880!

busbart

Hmmmm, Those Dodges are REALLY OK!

i'm driving Dodge (M-886, M-887 and now a M-884) for more than 20 years now, and never ever had really big issues with them other than replacing a starter, alternator or radiator...

And even once i've been on holiday with it to Libia, driving in the desert for a month/10.000Miles!

and it drove as fine as always!

maybe a little spartanic by todays standards, but it is a work truck after all!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, DODGE!!!

Bart

67_C-30

I have a M880 and a M1009, and I love 'em both, but the M1009 is a way better daily driver, IMO. It rides better, turns better, and is much more economical to drive. I'm not at all knocking the M880, just stating my experience with both. I pulled a couple of junkers on my trailer to the scrap yard yesterday with M880, and she performed flawlessly.

Last edited:

Elwenil

You have to keep in mind that you are comparing a 1/2 ton SUV to a 3/4 ton truck. Naturally the 1/2 ton is going to ride better and the short wheelbase will make it turn much better. Apples and oranges.

lacoda56

I had an M1008 for a work truck for a couple years and I have to say in all honesty that it was the one vehicle that made a lifelong chevy guy not EVER consider buying another GM product. If that POS is what we expected our soldiers to work with, God help us! The only good memory I have of that truck was seeing it pull out of the driveway after I sold it! I know there's a lot of people that really think the military chevys are cool, and they're entitled to their opinion. IMHO GM took all the parts they wanted to get rid of and built a truck and dumped it on the military. 12 and 24 volt charging with dual alternators? Whatever happened to "Keep it simple, stupid". 4:56 axle ratios with no overdrive and a 6.2 diesel that can't take high rpm's for long periods but was supposed to be for highway use. Up until two years ago when I bought an M882 from gsa, I didn't think I'd ever have a Dodge truck on the place. Now if I had the cash I'd grab another in a heartbeat. Oh and by the way, this is my opinion, take it or leave it.

natem

Back in the day, I bought 2 brand new 86 GMC 3/4 ton pu's consecutive sn's one ran 150,000 mi without a problem. The other one blew up 3 times in 50,000 mi. As someone once said "life is like a box of chocolates"

ryan77

Well you have to look at it this way!!! Most cars from the early 80's were crappy the blazes either civi or military I still see them on the road daily. The dodge trucks are simple good trucks I've owned both and enjoy both of them. Peace!!

m880 unimog

being a mopar guy,i read all the posts here with interest,the dodge,s are easy live to with,we dont get too many here in england,i have owned a M890 for over 20 years,and am building a M884 hybrid,i love the looks of these pick ups.
i have never owned a chevrolet [french word] but i do love the early el camino,s.
i dont see why the original poster should not be able to find a reasonable priced dodge and have a lot of fun driving and wrenching it.

i say go for it.:cool:

Warren Lovell

Ive had my M1009 for 5 years. Everyday driver, only had to replace power steering pump. All routine maintenance I do myself. Sometimes it is better to get a vehicle from someone who has road tested it, worked out the bugs, rather than to GL roulette.

67_C-30

You have to keep in mind that you are comparing a 1/2 ton SUV to a 3/4 ton truck. Naturally the 1/2 ton is going to ride better and the short wheelbase will make it turn much better. Apples and oranges.
Oh I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that the M1009 is better suited for a daily driver. The shorter wheelbase is a factor, but not as much as the M880 being full time 4WD and having no power steering. The 3.08 geared diesel is way better on fuel than the 4.10 geared gasser. The M880 is much better for pulling a trailer or anything else than the M1009 for the same reasons.

I wasn't knocking the M880 at all, just stating my comparison. I also didn't realize when I posted that yesterday that this OP posted this last year.

With that said, a Ramcharger and a M1009 would be a pretty good arguement! I would love to have militarized '70's Ramcharger!

67_C-30

I had an M1008 for a work truck for a couple years and I have to say in all honesty that it was the one vehicle that made a lifelong chevy guy not EVER consider buying another GM product. If that POS is what we expected our soldiers to work with, God help us! The only good memory I have of that truck was seeing it pull out of the driveway after I sold it! I know there's a lot of people that really think the military chevys are cool, and they're entitled to their opinion. IMHO GM took all the parts they wanted to get rid of and built a truck and dumped it on the military. 12 and 24 volt charging with dual alternators? Whatever happened to "Keep it simple, stupid". 4:56 axle ratios with no overdrive and a 6.2 diesel that can't take high rpm's for long periods but was supposed to be for highway use. Up until two years ago when I bought an M882 from gsa, I didn't think I'd ever have a Dodge truck on the place. Now if I had the cash I'd grab another in a heartbeat. Oh and by the way, this is my opinion, take it or leave it.
The 24v system was spec'd by the military, as was the 4.56 gears. The vehicle was not designed to run highway speeds. It was designed to run with convoys, and the in fact, the National speed limit was 55 when it was built. You're blaming GM for something that wasn't really their doing. GM didn't sell trucks civilian trucks like that in the 80's. The truck would have had 4.10 gears and a normal 12v charging system if it wasn't milspec.

The being said, I would rather have my M880 over a m1008 in stock form for what I use it for. My M880 runs higher speeds on the highway, and pulls as well as a M1008. I like that it isn't 24v, but I do wish it had the good axles, selectable 4X4 and power steering like the M1008. The M1009 is the best driver of any of them, but sucks for pulling.

None of them are perfect...

quickfarms

M1008 electrical is a P.O.S.

The 880 used a seperate battery and generator to run the military radios and not the truck.

A lot of these trucks were repainted and are driving around town

Rich Johnson

Yeah, but can an 880 get 15 mpg at a constant 65mph.
My m1008 does 65 just fine, its kinda loud and it gets 15mpg constantly as long as I dont go over 65. Just this week, I installed a GV overdrive on it. Now I kick in the od around 45 and cruise on up. I cant wait to test my mileage now.

Rich Johnson

Getting ready for a national guard mission this week, and tower park. Jerry and I were PMing trailer and mule etc. Running out of time for alot of things.

AZDeuce

If anyone is interested I have pretty nice M884 in Buckeye AZ (85326), it last ran about a year and a half ago, the tires were dry rotted when I bought it, but I drove it around the block once a week or so, but then one day I went out in the desert and 4 wheeled her to see if everything worked.

The next morning all the tires were flat! Its been sitting ever since since. I couldn't find any 16.5 tires. It needs a left interior door panel, the glove box door is cracked, and the seat is ripped up.

PM me if you're interested and we can discuss price, but not here on this forum.

You will need to bring wheels/tires to move her.
She came from the Yuma Proving Grounds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks