• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disk Brakes?

401-J10

Since the drum brakes on the M211 banjo axles sound like they are going to be really expensive to rebuild, has anybody looked into a disk break conversion? Wouldn't it be pretty easy to do if you could find a rotor that would fit? I've just kinda started thinking about it since the wheel cylinder kits are so expensive. And disk brakes would be sweet.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't the wheel cyl kits cheaper than a duece? Offroad fab works may be able to help with disks.

401-J10

hndrsonj said:
Aren't the wheel cyl kits cheaper than a duece?
I'm not sure i get what you're saying here but from what i've seen on here the wheel cylinder kits are about 50 each new. I've not really priced them myself though. But my thinking is is you're gonna have to spend $100 per wheel just for wheel cylinders why not try to do disk breaks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swear i've seen then for under 15$ in a Military Vehicles mag, I'll have to look again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Niagra Military Parts 905-732-4122, has wheel cylinders for $14.50 and rebuild kits for $3.00 each. :wink:

nattieleather

The wheel cylinders aren't that expensive. The shoes aren't that bad to get relined if need, though in my experience it's the wheel cylinders that are bad and the shoes have lots of life left in them. If you take the time and go through all six wheels and fix everything up and clean up and lube the adjusters etc I have found that the M211/135 serries trucks will stop on a dime and give you 5 cents change. Normally I say 9 cents, but they are big trucks. The other area that I have seen to be problematic is the master cylinder and the air pack.

When I had my M211 I redid all the wheel cylinders, a new master and rebuilt air pack and cleaned and adjusted the shoes and boy would that thing stop!

I think you'll be better off and less out of pocket to do this than to try and fab up disk breaks. I think I had maybe $200 total in my truck and that was 9 or 10 years ago.....so maybe at todays prices you'll be closer to $300. I think a disk conversion is going to be a lot more than that and will be a real PITA with the fabricatiing that will need to be done.

401-J10

hndrsonj said:
Niagra Military Parts 905-732-4122, has wheel cylinders for $14.50 and rebuild kits for $3.00 each. :wink:
Oh wow. I guess i will have to check them out then. Thanks everybody for the replies. I was just kinda playing with the idea of disks. But if i can rebuild the drums for cheap enough then i won't mess with it.

The GMC brakes are superior to the disk in all aspects. Conversion would be a bad decision. If the brakes will lock, when in proper working condition, then you can not ask them to do more.
Disk are a cheap easily serviced alternative, NOT better brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks