• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distributor oil port.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I down loaded the TM's I could find and Erick and I did go through them but I am the problem child here. OK the distributor has a port at the bottom and a flat blade plug. I saw nothing in the TM's or lube order about how often to oil. I put a little motor oil in the port and closed it up. Anyone know how often and how much? Tanks
Also why do some people think that brass fittings needs to be tighten to 100 foot pounds. Yea I got it out but come on.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at my spare motor. Mine has just a plug in it with no 90 degree fitting. Pretty sure my NOS one just had a screw in brass fitting. Never oiled it seperately.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Dodge shop manuals coming but here is a pic of the port on a civilian distributor. It has the port and from what I can tell it has the old style spring loaded flip up cap to access the port. I would be willing to bet at one time it called for servicing with oil. I will see when my shop manuals come in but the spring cap would be no good for fording. Would need to be water tight plug.

Attachments

Last edited:

Usmcmoose

I have two M37s, one with a civilian dist and one with a military one and never noticed the oilers before.
I'm getting old, or did not see it in the TM for oiling. I will have to check them out.
Can any of the gurus out there shred some information about them?
Thanks Marty

BTW; My civilian 1951 International pick up truck has an oiler on the speedo gauge.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still waiting on my Dodge shop manuals as I saw nothing in the TM's but. Hope they will be here soon come on Amazon. Still would bet there is a bushing in there that needs a little oil once and a while. Like the Tin Man said in the Wizard of Oz. oil can.

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

The civilian Dist had the pop up oil door as shown.
Military Dist. had the brass plug for obvious fording reasons.

I oil mine at every oil change.
Just a few drops will do.

It lubes the shaft bushing.
Tom

Usmcmoose

Tom

I just viewed your photo album and all I can say is, WOW, you have some beautiful trucks.
I just hope one or two of my projects look like yours when I'm done.
Thanks for sharing...
Marty

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson
Thanks. That is some good info. Now we know.
We all appreciate it.
Moose
No worries I am just going through the learning curve of another model truck. I knew it need oil and I never saw a post about it so far. I am up to page 60 on the M37 forums and reading as much as I can. I like the new shop manual better than the TM's but they have there worth to. When I got into the MV's I should just stuck with one model. It is a lot of catching up when you have or had to many models. At least I am down to five models I have to stay on top of.

Usmcmoose

Floridianson
Yes, I too started reading Steel Soldier and then G741. A lot of good information on them, especially troubling shooting or what parts fail and why.
When you say new shop manual, what can you tell me about it? Is it a military manual or did someone produce it?
I only have some of the TMs so far.
My biggest regret, is not learning everything I could when I was younger. Now I'm playing catch up.
What models do you have?
Thanks Marty

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No not a TM. I ordered from amazon Green cover Dodge job related trucks shop manual C1 series all series. I will try and take a pic of it as soon as my battery charges. I also got a CD that covers C1 & C3 and I will see what that has in it.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok do not think the C1&C3 are the best shop manual for our trucks. Has some stuff that carries over but I am looking it a different Dodge shop manual that would cover the smaller trucks. Yea I found & went over to G741 sight and lots of good people there to. I posted I was looking for a battery box tray over there and a Mr. Parker from a couple of year old thread was still active there. He was so nice to sell me a perfect shape battery tray. Thanks again Mr. Parker if you out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks