• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distributor vent line repair

MDSA

Bought my "new" M37 over Labor Day weekend. Body is in great shape and it RAN fine. Did the routine maintenance and a bit of body prepping for painting over the faded fire department red (Pink just seems wrong for an M37).

Anyway, I drove it practically everyday down behind the house, and after a week or so it started quitting after about 20-30 minutes. After about 1-2 hours it would cool off and run fine - for about 20-30 minutes.

COIL.

After reading the manual - several times - and ordering a new coil, I spoke on the phone with Charles Talbert of M Series Rebuild in NC. Man is he knowledgeable!! He started rattling off detailed information about the M37 coil, vents and distributor.

Checked the vent lines and one was going to some rubber tube that disappears into the firewall. Did a little detective work with AMGeneral's advice. Took off the air cleaner elbow and found the previous owner had plugged one of the vent line holes with a bolt.

So now I needed a fitting with a tube inside the throat of the air cleaner elbow, and the tube MUST face the right direction in the throat - per Charles Talbert's knowledge.

Where does one find such a specialized piece? Build it yourself. Thus the pictures show my efforts on Saturday evening to fabricate such a fitting. I used epoxy to attach the copper tubing to the fitting.

Put it together late Saturday night, and it ran great, but did not get to drive her until Sunday after church. My sons and I drove all over the place. She ran fine for over an hour until we started to have a bit of power loss going up hills, but she did not quit. She would catch up with herself once over the hill. Finally ended up at AMGeneral's. He retarded the timing, which didn't help, so we figure the coil has been damaged and will be replaced as soon as I get the new coil. But at least the vent lines are correct now.

Picture #2 shows only one original vent line pointing toward the carb. #3 shows the other vent line pointing back up the elbow toward the air cleaner.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great post! Lots of users of the M-series trucks do not realize the importance of the distributor vent. Applies to all gasoline engine waterproof ignition trucks, 1/4 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 1/4 ton, 2 1/2 ton, 5 ton. Points and coil have a death sentence without airflow inside the dist!

MDSA

Thank you, DieselBob.

I mentioned the epoxy because I wanted other's 2cents. I wasn't thinking of anything but getting it together and did not give the epoxy enough thought. I appreciate your comment.

hbbaxter

distrib cooling

As was Mentioned in the beginning of the thread was questioned about the cooling of the coil call Charles back and he will sell you the right part for what is needed.
hb:grd: