• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY 24 to 12 volt starter conversion

math1960

Hello all, This is my first post, so be gentle please. I used search and looked in the help sections and not found an answer. Has any one rebuilt their 24 volt starter themselves and converted it to 12 volt, on the m1009.

If so, what are the details. I'm not a mechanic but thats part of the reason I bought this money pit of a Blazer. To learn how to work on my own vehicles. Now I know why we had gas dodges in the Air Force!

Thanks

math1960

I want to be able to pick up what ever I need from the local Auto Zone or NAPA. It seems to be the consensus on Steel Soldier and a mechanic buddy, this will also make the Blazer more reliable in general. I have an 1986 m1009 I purchased last November from the Army reserve. The current problem is with the alternators. I'm having them rebuilt and thought I might as well rebuild starter and if I do this might as well convert over to 12 volt.

Stalwart

12 volt starters will work in a 24V system BUT, you must NOT attempt cranking if it isn't turning fast, do not continue to crank. A normally easy to start engine will work for years with a 12v unit, in a hard to start vehicle, it won't last too long. Info I got from a professional rebuilder of starters. I have a 12v unit in my V100 that I killed with marginal batteries.

Keith_J

what makes the 24 starter better than the 12 volt?
Half the current draw means brushes last much longer. Aside from the pinion (drive gear) and bearings, there isn't much to go wrong in a starter. Brushes are the most common failure mode.

math1960

OK, thanks everyone. I'll Just rebuild the starter and keep it 24 volt . We'll see how it goes. I'm going to use the manuals and rebuild the starter myself. I'm hard headed and just want to see if I can do it myself. Be glad when I can get this thing reliable!

cosmobius

Half the current draw means brushes last much longer. Aside from the pinion (drive gear) and bearings, there isn't much to go wrong in a starter. Brushes are the most common failure mode.
As an electrician, i understand that 24 volt means less current but wouldn't a 12 volt starter's brushes (rebuilt or otherwise) be made to operate on the voltage it uses? I am not arguing, i know that higher voltage means higher efficiency but I guess i always figured that a 12 volt starter would last just as long as a 24 volt starter if it was built for the purpose. Just as a 12 volt light bulb should last as long as a 120 volt light bulb. Personally, i have always wondered why people make the 12 volt conversion.