• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY, "DON'T BUY A" Cheap eB*y AC in a HMMWV

Superhondaz50

Please read the thread. The China parts are terrible. Now that my turbo is done, I've turned my attention to the AC since driving this truck in 120* heat sucks. Bought an AC kit on eBay for $800 to my door. It included a genuine RedDot evap unit, and Chinese compressor, condensor, lines, fittings, fans and dryer. It also includes a custom built harness with switches. Let's see how it works. I had a middle rear seat in my truck, I removed it and installed the evap in its place, dabbed up some quick brackets and some 1" support poles for the rear. I found a genuine RedDot compressor bracket for $25 for a serpentine system, I had to shim it to align with the V belts but was worth it as V belt brackets are nearing $200. I also had to fab up an arm for tensioning the compressor, $14 at O'Reilly and some welder time got it done. I removed one belt to the alternator so I could have an open spot to drive the compressor. Next up will be getting the condensor mounted. It'll be on the bedside behind some DIY GMV style bedsides.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superhondaz50

Today I started working on my faux-ish GMV side rails. I will mount the condensor and fans behind the driver side rail. It'll be enclosed in a 1/2" ply fan box for max air draw from the two 24v fans. The side rails are made from my old busted troop seats, cut and welded to some USA made e-track, which I can strap shovels, hi-lift, etc to.

Attachments

fpchief

Today I started working on my faux-ish GMV side rails. I will mount the condensor and fans behind the driver side rail. It'll be enclosed in a 1/2" ply fan box for max air draw from the two 24v fans. The side rails are made from my old busted troop seats, cut and welded to some USA made e-track, which I can strap shovels, hi-lift, etc to.
Using that track is a great idea...

Superhondaz50

Well the update on this project is to save your money and get a real one. Other than the Red Dot evap and fans, the rest is garbage. The fittings sent are for R12, had to switch those out for R134 beadlock fittings. The service ports on the Chinese fittings don't seat well to my Master cool manifold, they leaked and had to be c clamped down. Ended up replacing those with new ones from Vintage Air. Got it charged and the Chinese 508 compressor clutch went out about 30mins in. Complete garbage. I've done a ton of AC system using real stuff, so seeing the Chinese stuff first hand and having it fail was an interesting experiment.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep telling folks those kits are garbage...I have a customer wanting one installed now, I warned him, bit said go ahead Anyway. I did convince him to use a sanden m1114 R6 compressor, as well as OEM manifold, I’m tossing the connectors as I only use ez-clip and aeroquip hose. The next concern is the evap, it’s like 12x18, way yo small to move the heat generated in the cooling on such a large area, I’m going to try and convince him to use all red dot stuff, I’ve installed tons of red dots, they are Industrial grade And engineered for cooling the volume of a hmmwv cab.

Superhondaz50

I keep telling folks those kits are garbage...I have a customer wanting one installed now, I warned him, bit said go ahead Anyway. I did convince him to use a sanden m1114 R6 compressor, as well as OEM manifold, I’m tossing the connectors as I only use ez-clip and aeroquip hose. The next concern is the evap, it’s like 12x18, way yo small to move the heat generated in the cooling on such a large area, I’m going to try and convince him to use all red dot stuff, I’ve installed tons of red dots, they are Industrial grade And engineered for cooling the volume of a hmmwv cab.
Ya agreed, I like expirementas that end in futility, it's a good learning lesson for everyone. So pretty much I paid $800 for a Red Dot R2400 evap unit and AC hose. Everything else in the kit is garbage. The dual fans sent do work well, but I built a dedicated fan box for them, they're powerful enough to suck a full size beach towel into the box. Unfortunately, like you said the condensor is way too small for the evap unit. So this winter I'll be looking for a genuine red dot condensor with fans, and a 24v Sanden SD7 v groove compressor. Those hoses are good, the harness is OK, and I already purchased and installed Vintage AIr beadlock connectors on my hoses.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya agreed, I like expirementas that end in futility, it's a good learning lesson for everyone. So pretty much I paid $800 for a Red Dot R2400 evap unit and AC hose. Everything else in the kit is garbage. The dual fans sent do work well, but I built a dedicated fan box for them, they're powerful enough to suck a full size beach towel into the box. Unfortunately, like you said the condensor is way too small for the evap unit. So this winter I'll be looking for a genuine red dot condensor with fans, and a 24v Sanden SD7 v groove compressor. Those hoses are good, the harness is OK, and I already purchased and installed Vintage AIr beadlock connectors on my hoses.
fender condensor is all I use now...it’s seamless and out of the way and OEM.

Superhondaz50

I was looking at those, would need two correct? I have a 4 man truck. Also am looking at the thick 3 row? Red Dot condensor, I can build another box to put it in a re-use my current fans.

I'm also wondering, if I ordered one or two more 18x26 condensors and doubled or tripled them up, if that would be sufficient, those little condensors work great in the cars I do, so maybe??

Last edited:

Superhondaz50

Looks like the big Red Dot condensor is a serpentine flow, not a parallel flow. Wondering if the more modern parallel flow I have installed is sufficiant in comparison to the older style Red Dot?

Superhondaz50

Alright folks, update. Got all new parts and am getting this thing going just in time for winter. Order the proper RedDot condenser. It is several inches taller and at least 5 times thicker than the Chinese one. I made a new AC box for it and will be running the original fans that came with my kit. Also got all new fittings, as I will be moving the discharge ports from the engine bay in to the cab where the military ones usually are. Got the correct Sanden compressor and oil. Hopefully I can charge it Friday. Since I have the proper components I should be able to weigh in the R134a at 4lbs 8oz, per the TM with 277cc of oil. Hopefully those are the correct refrigerant and oil measurements.

Attachments

DREDnot

What do you use to run the lines along the frame to the fender unit? The OEM hard line pair assy? or just long hoses?(2 door conf.) I found 1 OEM hard line assy but it cost more than the condenser/fan assy

Superhondaz50

What do you use to run the lines along the frame to the fender unit? The OEM hard line pair assy? or just long hoses?(2 door conf.) I found 1 OEM hard line assy but it cost more than the condenser/fan assy
Hi, I have a professional AC setup and make my own lines using standard barrier hose with Atco beadlock fittings. I have hose running from the engine bay, into the cab through existing holes in the body, then up to the evap unit, and back to the condensor.

Here's a couple pics. I wanted to install the setup with zero mods to the truck frame or body. I will tidy it up once I get it all installed.

Attachments

Superhondaz50

All buttoned up. TM calls for 72-82oz of R134a, I ended up using 78oz. Also used about 280cc of SP15 oil. 77 degrees at 3k feet, looking at about 35/145 on the manifold. AC blows 43*, perfect.

Moral of this story, don't buy the kit with China parts. They're horrible, I knew they would be but I had to see for myself. Stick with real parts and you'll be a happy camper. I think my total on this AC project came to about $1400.

Next up, figuring out how to get some King shocks on this thing.

Attachments

Coralsniper

I got the $750 coldmaster hmmwv 24v AC kit off ebay and have had excellent results, it came with a sanden compressor. I bought AC bracket from black dog customs and a AC hose crimper off amazon, the kit keeps me cool in SW Floridas summer.
My Red dot blower motor was damaged in shipping, coldmaster sent me a new one the next day, good customer service.
You have to make sure you filled the system correctly with correct oil and r134a or you will blow the compressor quickly. Also you should install a 5 belt pulley instead of pulling one of your other belts off.
For the price you can't beat it, I run it every day, zero leaks.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks