• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY Hydraulic Winch…???? a good idea or not?????

Alexander

For all you engineering types. There is a offroad webpage,

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Winch_choice.htm

that talks a little about different winch types and at the end of the page goes into a little detail about a DIY project. Let me quote part of the article.

Go visit junkyards on a search for any winch of reasonable size up to a mechanical Braden, 5-tons, which is about the heaviest you can carry. This is the same winch found on WW II GMC and Dodge trucks. Anything else will do too but keep it cheap and it is not important whether it has a drive or not. Once you found something, the next thing you do is to fabricate a mounting for placing it on the front of your Landy if it will fit in between the wings, or somewhere in the back or under the chassis if it happens to be too wide. It does not really matter if your winch is in the front or in the back of your vehicle and I have often seen Swiss and German show-offs with two winches.
Ok. now that you got a winch, what comes next ? Get a drive for it. Best drive you can find is a NEW hydromotor in the 8-10 HP range and capable of some 1500 / 2000 revs. ( These sell from industrial outlets for around EUR 370.-- ). The pump you need is an ordinary second-hand power steering pump. Furthermore you will need an adaptor shaft for coupling the motor to the winch and a fabricated mounting for the motor, high-pressure hydraulic fluid lines, an oil reservoir and a forward/reverse valve that you can mount anywhere in the oil lines. Estimated cost: (in EUR) 80 for the second hand winch with a shot motor, 370 for the hydromotor, 100 for the lines and the valve, 50 for the servo pump and maybe 100 for the shaft, which will set you back some EUR 700.-- This is very cheap for a good hydraulic winch that will keep going long after all the others have burnt their electric motors or exhausted their batteries.

So my questions to you real and closet engineers are, “ does this make sense? Would a regular duce winch be a suitable candidate? Will it work? Are the rpm and motor size recommendations in the ballpark. “Inquiring minds want to know.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to put a pto driven hydraulic pump for my dump bed- but I also wanted a winch. I know they make double ended PTOs, but they are hard to find and expensive. So the thought of having the hydro pto, and driving either the bed or the winch off it sounds nice. One problem I see- unless you have a large tank, you would need a cooler.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
winch

this is an excellent idea (although not at all new) the standard deuce wince would be a good choice, just mount the motor where the driveshaft attaches to the winch. you do not need a cooler if your pump pumps less that the hoses and valve can flow. you want very low psi at the pump when not working ( 10 - 20 psi) and this is only if the pump runs all the time. you can also mount a pressure gauge on the pressure line of the pump before the 3 way valve so you can see how hard the winch is pulling. also you can adj the system pressure so that the winch can only reach a preset level of pull so you don't break anything. been around for years on unimog......
tom

Knucklehead

RE: winch

In my opinion the pump amd motor recomended will be a little undersized for a Deuce. You can carry a Landrover in a deuce, so I would scale up the project. As listed in the article it probably would power a Deuce winch but it would be very slow.I would run a big truck power steering pump off of the MF and set up a valve system so it could be reversed. I would also put a magnetic clutch on the pump so it could be engaged at will and not be constant parasitic drag.

Alexander

RE: winch

So does anyone know the RPM range of the duce winch PTO drive and the torque available? I might want to take this to the next step...

TedG

For my mog and tractor, I used a gama goat winch mounted to multipurpose frame. The frame can mount via 3pt hitch or schmidt implement plate. The winch has a hydraulic motor attached and operates the pto input on the goat winch. It is a little slow but I am in know hurry when winching.

Holy cow uploading picts is fast with the new server!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks