• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY load bank

mlaxton

Need some help with using these 5kw dryer elements for a load bank. I understand I will need breakers, fan’s, housing etc. I’m not sure how these are wired, is it #1 = 120 and #2 = ground? I read another guys post on this topic. But the wiring specifics I still need. Thank you
FF68BCFC-F224-4327-B951-343B732133C1.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it's 5kw element, it isn't going to be 120V.
Put one hot lead to each terminal (L2 hooked to one side, L3 hooked to the other), that gives you 240V.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So no ground or neutral is needed to the element itself?
Nope.
Ground is there on appliances as a safety in case the wiring somehow has an issue and puts electricity to the case. Gives the electricity a very easy path to use instead of going through the human body. Not having a ground won't affect operation of an appliance, only how badly you get hurt if something in it fails (of course, the smarter the appliance, the more likely it is that it will know that it isn't grounded and not work at all.

Neutral is only for 120V, typically if a 240V appliance uses the neutral it's because something in the control electronics is made to use 120V. The way 120/240 works is the neutral is in the exact middle of the 240V windings, so that's why when running a lot of 120V items on a generator you try to balance how they are plugged in/wired so that you aren't overloading one half of the windings.

240V is more efficient, it uses the same size wire for the amount of amperage used as a 120V item, so for the same price for all the wires you can use literally twice the amount of power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks