• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY PTO Control Lever

davidm2232

My Deuce has the PTO driven winch and appears to be in working shape. The issue is the PTO shift lever and bracket are gone. I would like to use the winch this weekend. Anyone rigged up a DIY shifter that works well? I'd hate to have to get under the truck every time I needed to engage the PTO.

rustystud

My Deuce has the PTO driven winch and appears to be in working shape. The issue is the PTO shift lever and bracket are gone. I would like to use the winch this weekend. Anyone rigged up a DIY shifter that works well? I'd hate to have to get under the truck every time I needed to engage the PTO.
You can go and buy a "PTO pull cable" that you can mount to the dash. They have nice red handles and come in almost any length you need. Most truck parts suppliers will have them. I believe NAPA also sells them.

wilber

They are easy to build if you can find one you can copy. I built three for different M35A2's and have had no problems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The cable is the easy way. It will be as big around as a grade school pencil or a little larger - and you will want to install it in a large sweeping arc. No sharp turns If you can expect it to work well. It needs to be secured well so it still functions correctly the tenth time (for example) you go to use it.

On the other hand, if @wilber could upload some pictures of a mechanical setup, you will do that once and never need to work on it again. I have done dozens in days gone by - but I have nothing to share for you to look at.

Last edited:

wilber

I think I posted it. Is there a delay posting pictures?
I think I posted it. Is there a delay posting pictures?
Looks like it is there now. I'm not sure how I got the picture in there twice. I think I used a 5/8 or 3/4 round bar to make the lever itself. I welded extra material at the hinge point to drill out the hole for the hinge bolt. I hope that helps.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks like it is there now. I'm not sure how I got the picture in there twice. I think I used a 5/8 or 3/4 round bar to make the lever itself. I welded extra material at the hinge point to drill out the hole for the hinge bolt. I hope that helps.
Thanks for taking the picture and for marking it up!
The old saying about a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words really is true...

wilber

Nice work Wilber !

The only reason I said to use the cable is the time constraint the original poster is in.
I know and I agree given the time constraints a cable is much easier and faster.

I have never seen a post from you that was not well thought out and helpful. I rarely post, but always read and I think you are one of the best assets of this site. Let me tell you thanks for all the great info you put out. I'm sure there are many more like me that appreciate your wisdom and ideas!

davidm2232

@wilber Are the bolt holes on the master a special thread? I couldn't get any of the random bolts from my bin to thread in. Thinking they are fine thread. Luckily the truck is mobile so going to run to the hardware store at lunchtime and see if I can get something that threads in. It's going to be ugly when it's done but I think it will work well. I didn't make the pivots double shear, I may have to do some modifications to make that happen if it looks like I'll need to.

rustystud

I know and I agree given the time constraints a cable is much easier and faster.

I have never seen a post from you that was not well thought out and helpful. I rarely post, but always read and I think you are one of the best assets of this site. Let me tell you thanks for all the great info you put out. I'm sure there are many more like me that appreciate your wisdom and ideas!
Thank you for those kind words Wilber.

MAZ537

I will be able to copy all these linkage pieces to the company I am working at (it is casting/forging related) for very low cost but we need to have the pieces in hand to be able to copy them...Also shipping might be an issue from down there...

davidm2232

Well, it's not pretty but it seems to work fine. Just some flat stock and part of an old linkage that came in the bed of the truck when I bought it. I think something is wrong with the PTO though. I have R-N-L-N-H. Isn't there supposed to be Medium in the middle of high and low?
20220610_171627_resized_1.jpg20220610_171657_resized_1.jpg20220610_171705_resized_1.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, it's not pretty but it seems to work fine. Just some flat stock and part of an old linkage that came in the bed of the truck when I bought it. I think something is wrong with the PTO though. I have R-N-L-N-H. Isn't there supposed to be Medium in the middle of high and low?
View attachment 870287View attachment 870288View attachment 870289
Nice on the linkage. Glad you got it built for the weekend! It may be worth rounding those sharp corners on your lever.

On the PTO, there may be different versions with High and Low speeds. The only ones I have seen on old Deuces were in and out at one speed. Logically, paying out cable would be at one speed. You could have a low speed and a high speed - depending on the model of PTO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks