• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy steering box brace

Shankem-Deep

So I got around to building a steering box brace this weekend for my M1028. I noticed the steering getting sloppy awhile back and it turned out to be the bolts holding the steering box to the frame coming loose. I tightened them, but they kept working loose after only a short time. I had read that it is possible for the frame to crack at the steering box. ORD offers a really nice looking brace but i didn't want to shell out for it right here at Christmas.

Here's what i did:

• First i made the mounting spacers. I had some 3/4 round stock that I cut into 3 2" lengths and drilled a 29/64 hole through for the 3" long 7/16-14 bolts.
  • I had a 1/4 x 2" strap that i used for the main body of the brace. I cut a 3" piece and a 16" piece. I used the 3" piece to go between two of the spacers that bolt to the steering box. You will need to notch it to clear a couple hard lines.
  • I bolted the steering box on using 2 of the spacers and the new 3" grade 8 7/16-14 bolts. Then I put the 3" piece of strap between the spacers and spot welded it to the spacers.
  • Next I drilled out the hole in the front cross member using a 1/2" drill bit.
  • Then I took the 16" piece of strap and roughly laid it against the front side of the piece I just spot welded and got an idea of how i was going to have to twist it and bend it to line up with the hole in the cross member
  • So after a few trips to the vise bending and twisting, i drilled a 1/2 hole through the end that would bolt to the cross brace. Then I welded the other 2" spacer over that hole.
  • I then bolted it to the cross member and tack welded the other end to the front side of the 3" piece.
  • I then took everything off, added a couple of braces, finished welding it and painted it.
  • I used blue locktite on the bolts when i installed it

Attachments

Varyag

I just did one of these on my 1009 this weekend. The frame was cracked right at where these bolts are. I just happened to be lucky enough to be at a friend's house when we found it. He has a diesel suburban and a blazer and hoards parts when they come up cheap. He had an extra kit in a box so he threw it at me and said merry Christmas.

The ord kit also has a bracket that goes to one of the front bolts as well. I like how you made the arch in the steel between the bolts taller. Mine was really close on the vent tube.

Last edited:

Shankem-Deep

I always say it's better to have and not need than to need and not have. My steering box was working loose weekly just driving on the street, hopefully this will take care of that.

Varyag

I have the same brace on mine. For the front one you take off that corner brace and connect the ORD one to the top bolt of the gear box there. Then you sandwich the ORD brace under the original one when you bolt it all back together.

-edit- man these cucvs look good with hmmwv wheels on them. If I wasn't trying to keep my MPG up I would totally go for them.

idM1028

Blazer frames will crack before a k30 frame does.
True, but he's got a 1028. I don't think it gets much heavier duty than that.
Running hydro assist also helps the frame a ton.
Definitely worth it if you're running big honkin' tires, but if you're like me and running tiny little rink-a-dink stock tires, a grand plus can be better spent elsewhere.

P.S. Good to see you're posting back up in here. I know the s*** sucks...

TCUCV

Shankem, nice brace you built. I like how you did your rock sliders on your truck! How did you manage to get around the gas tank on the drivers side? Do you have any pictures you can post up of them?

I have the same wheels, it really makes the truck look mean:beer:

Shankem-Deep

kapnklug

Here's some pix of the steering brace I finished today for my M1009. I used the stock bushings on the steering box bolts to weld the pieces to. First made cardboard cutouts of the 3 pieces for the main brace, tack welded it together in place, then removed, finish-welded and painted it. Note that one bushing is on EACH side of the large end, this allows the main-web to be vertical.
The small brace infront of the crossmember is a section of L-channel (vertical part welded to bushing is hard to see, so it's circled). I then welded it to the corner brace, so the whole assembly can still be unbolted. I think this small brace (left out in Shankem's original build) is important to prevent thrust-load on the front steering box bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cucvnut

True, but he's got a 1028. I don't think it gets much heavier duty than that.

Definitely worth it if you're running big honkin' tires, but if you're like me and running tiny little rink-a-dink stock tires, a grand plus can be better spent elsewhere.

P.S. Good to see you're posting back up in here. I know the s*** sucks...
where do you get a grand for hydro assist? i think i spent about 200 bucks total on mine.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a lift make any difference on the brace, I wouldn't think so but I must ask anyway. Can you sell me one since you have the shop and the tools readily available to do it...?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks