• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DMV asked for FMVSS proof..

gerrykan

Does anyone remember, or know where to find the thread(s) from years back when some of the DMV's were refusing 1008's (if my memory is right) for the same reason?

There was a cover letter from a Gov't official relating that the U.S. Gov't exemption to FMVSS followed the trucks into civilian ownership.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, driver carries no cash, dogs must be on leash, etc...

That NHTSA letter says -

John Womack -- Acting Chief Counsel said:
However, NHTSA excuses vehicles from compliance with the FMVSS if they have been manufactured in accordance with contractual specifications of the armed forces of the United States (49 CFR 571.7(a)). Furthermore, because the Safety Act does not regulate sales of vehicles to owners subsequent to the original one, the U.S. armed forces may sell military vehicles to the public at the end of their useful military life without having to bring them into conformity with the FMVSS...
NHTSA is saying that the NHTSA excuses vehicles from FMVSS compliance in so far as whatever control they have, but I would think they cannot make any claim to exemption to any state's registration issuing authority. (MVD/DMV)

Gunny65

I have seen that thread and read it all. I also went to the site listed on post 102 and copy/pasted the letter for reference. Thanks for posting the link.

I contacted GovPlanet. They now can provide a transferable Florida title. You gotta pay for it of course. They also said they could provide a SF97. The guy in Boise has not returned my calls or replied to my emails. It's been a week. I guess I will just get the transferable Florida title. They didn't offer that during the buying process. I guess it is a new thing. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gunny65

Well, the Guru from Boise called back today. They cannot title my truck, UNLESS, it is already titled from another state. He specifically said a SF97 would not work either. So, Bill of Sale and SF97 will not get your MV titled in Idaho unless you get lucky and hit a DMV office who will just add it to the system or it falls under the 30 year old provision. Mine does not. He didn't even address that option but that was something I read so it may not be true either. Rules change I guess. Anyway, I am working with GovPlanet to see if I can get a Florida Transferable title in my name. This should make Idaho happy since the Boise DMV guru was specific about being able to use that to title in Idaho. He kind of stuttered here but he said if it is titled in another state, "they must have done the research to prove it was FMVSS certified so we will accept that" (not an exact quote). So I paid GP the $160 to get a Florida transferable title and I should get it in about 3 weeks. I will update this when I get the title and also when I get the truck titled and registered in Idaho.

gottaluvit

I also got the FL title and it was a breeze to get it transferred to an Ohio title. BMV just issues plates here in Ohio so they didn't care as long as they got there $550 for my commercial tags. However, we have a reputation here, in the Buckeye State, of having the most lax vehicle laws. We dont even have annual inspections on non commercial vehicles, except the most populated counties. We can legally drive without a hood, doors, fenders, etc. Afterall, how are you going to be above your carburated car engine to adjust things going down the road, with a darn hood in the way!? Just kidding on carb adjustment.

Last edited:

Gunny65

Idaho seemed pretty lax on vehicles until this. I mean they don't have vehicle inspections, smog checks, etc except in two or three counties down south. Tires stick out to far, no biggy. It really surprised me when they said no. I mean, a guy living 40 minutes south of me, a SS member, had no problems with his 5 ton. Said he walked in with his bill of sale and they didn't blink. Another guy in this area, never met him but have seen his truck on the road, has an older version (M934A1) of my truck and has plates. Maybe the rules have changed recently, idk. Hopefully they don't up and change their minds about title option. Ian not sure how the Florida title is going to list the truck either, Commercial or what. Time will tell. I have about three weeks wait time according to the GP csr.

gottaluvit

The FL title just has the vin, make, model. The commercial or noncommercial is on you how to have them do your plates. Here, it makes no difference on the title. The truck is what it is. I have a CDL and the truck got it's annual CMVI (commercial motor vehicle inspection), which they applied a sticker to the outside of the cab just behind the door. I also have a USDOT number as well as a PUCO (public utilities commission of Ohio) number. They have to be painted (or adhered) on the truck so as to be seen from 50'. I only haul intrastate to eliminate all the fed hassles. I live very near WV, and think the state and most of it's people are awesome, but am no fan of their government and their "not so nice to the people" rules. Ohio treats her citizens like gold!

Gunny65

Gottaluvit, it is nice that the title keeps it generic. I am not hauling anything. I am converting the van into a camper. I am putting in new insulation at this point. I want to register it as an motor-home RV. In the end I will have a walkthrough from the cab to the van. Like a motor-home. Hopefully it works out and Idaho lets me do it this way. I don't want to go the CDL route.

gottaluvit

Gottaluvit, it is nice that the title keeps it generic. I am not hauling anything. I am converting the van into a camper. I am putting in new insulation at this point. I want to register it as an motor-home RV. In the end I will have a walkthrough from the cab to the van. Like a motor-home. Hopefully it works out and Idaho lets me do it this way. I don't want to go the CDL route.
I would like, myself, to get a 5 ton that isn't commercial so I can play with it in the mud. Only reason I went commercial was because it is a dumper and I want it to pay for itself. Only reason I mentioned all I went through was to show a worse case scenerio for you, which can be fairly easy. You will get it titled and on the road and say, "heck, that really wasn't so bad". Good luck.

By the way, that will be a sweet camper. Nice way to "get out there" for some camping.

gottaluvit

Don't forget about the IRS Form 2290...Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Retrun
https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-2290
Thanks. I will bring that to the attention of my tax prep lady. I get to claim the suspension since my miles are WAY less than 5000, and I am only 34k lbs. loaded. Heck, I put less than 2k on since I've had it. I only haul very local and not all that often. Half is on-site work.

Gunny65

I received my Florida transferable title. It just says "Truck" For the type of vehicle. I called the local Sheriff and ask him to come do a vin inspection. Since I can't drive it to town, no insurance, he came out. Nice guy. He has a 5ton they use for a mobile command post. It is the non expandable van type. He didn't even blink when I told him what my plans were for it. Said it was nice, filled out the paperwork, talked a little more and went on his way. I took the vin paperwork and the title to dmv and they had a few problems figuring out where to put information but they forwarded all the info to the main office. We will see if it comes back titled and registered, or not, in a few weeks. I had them register it as a Class C Motor-home. It fits that description the best except for the weight of the vehicle. They were fine with that as well. Having the transferable title, so far, has made this much easier. I'll post up when I get more news.

BEASTMASTER

states are crazy. I owned my 5 ton for13 yrs. plowed snow for the town I lived and move down here and they won't recognize the mass. title ????? had to have the highway patrol come out and check the vin number, to make sure it wasn't stolen. ?? seriously ????????? even the trooper shook his head and said REALLY .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks