• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do genset work?

comdiver

Every Friday, 8:30, our generator comes on and runs. The only hours that unit has, are test hours. It is run by a big Cat. There have been two times in the last 8 years that it wouldn't start because the batteries were dead (not just discharged) This generator lives in a heated room and gets factory service two times a year. Service and testing is important for emergency back up.

peyton

a couple of thoughts

If you have natural gas service, your best bet might be a good natural gas unit. After a hurricane, fuel is a major problem but the gas supply is not likely to be interrupted barring some major catastrophe. Propane is also a good choice if you have storage and have it filled.

If not natural gas/propane, then diesel should likely be the next choice ... you already know the benefits: storage life, safety, etc. The mep002/003 units are near bullet proof (pun intended) and were designed to run 24/7 for 5000 hours (I seem to recall) between rebuilds. Noise aside, I doubt you can buy a better generator for anywhere near the price (of a running unit). Fuel consumption: my mep003 carried us for 12 days after Ike at .6 gal per hour. We only ran it 12 hours/day because we didn't have storage and fuel was a pain to find.

Good luck,

Peyton

Isaac-1

The down side to natural gas is you are depending on a utility which may be shut down during an emergency, this has been a common problem in Florida after assorted storms , and in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina where the entire distribution network was shut down due to numerous broken gas lines and resulting fires.

Propane is difficult to resupply in any size much larger than the 20 pound exchange bottles, my in laws live in southwest Louisiana about 40 miles inland from the coast and use propane for heating and cooking, they were unlucky enough to run out of propane about a week after Hurricane Rita hit in '05 (they had storm damage to their house, but it was still liveable, mostly roof and siding). They had placed an order for their propane tank to be refilled a week before the storm hit, however due to high demand it was not filled in time, then the propane supplier was shut down for well over a week due to evacuation of employees and lack of electricity, this was followed by critical needs customers needing resupply for their generators, etc. The end result is my in laws received their propane resupply order on a Sunday afternoon nearly 4 weeks after ordering it, and after about 2 weeks with no hot water or ability to cook on their stove.

Diesel has the advantage that you can go buy it yourself, and the infrastructure tends to get back up and going reasonably fast, there also tend to be shorter lines at the diesel pumps than the gasoline pumps and fuel suppliers will often sell you off-road diesel in 55 gallon drums which are legal for the storage and transporation of diesel in most areas unlike gasoline.

peyton

The down side to natural gas is you are depending on a utility which may be shut down during an emergency, this has been a common problem in Florida after assorted storms , and in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina where the entire distribution network was shut down due to numerous broken gas lines and resulting fires.
Katrina is the perfect example of the "major catastrophe" where there is nothing you can do (except evacuate) to prepare. The Miss coast was swept clean with nothing remaining except cement slabs for distances up to 1/2 mile inland with major damage much further than that ... no infrastructure left to speak of.

Houston and nearby Cypress are far enough inland that the infrastructure, other than the electric grid, is not likely to be appreciably damaged by a hurricane. I don't recall a time in the 30 or so years I've lived here that we lost our gas. Trees do fall on the electric lines with some frequency however.

Propane is difficult to resupply in any size much larger than the 20 pound exchange bottles, my in laws live in southwest Louisiana about 40 miles inland from the coast and use propane for heating and cooking, they were unlucky enough to run out of propane about a week after Hurricane Rita hit in '05 (they had storm damage to their house, but it was still liveable, mostly roof and siding). They had placed an order for their propane tank to be refilled a week before the storm hit, however due to high demand it was not filled in time, then the propane supplier was shut down for well over a week due to evacuation of employees and lack of electricity, this was followed by critical needs customers needing resupply for their generators, etc. The end result is my in laws received their propane resupply order on a Sunday afternoon nearly 4 weeks after ordering it, and after about 2 weeks with no hot water or ability to cook on their stove.
I wouldn't recommend propane for anybody who isn't already using it. Many rural families use propane for heating, cooking, hot water, etc. and will, as do your inlaws, have a tank of several hundred gallons. It was bad luck that they were unable to get their tank filled before Rita.
Diesel has the advantage that you can go buy it yourself, and the infrastructure tends to get back up and going reasonably fast, there also tend to be shorter lines at the diesel pumps than the gasoline pumps and fuel suppliers will often sell you off-road diesel in 55 gallon drums which are legal for the storage and transporation of diesel in most areas unlike gasoline.
It was difficult to find diesel in our part of Houston for several days after Ike but, yes, diesel has many advantages and I will not get rid of my mep003. I will, however, continue to experiment with running a mep018 on natural gas and, in the event of another major power outage, I will use both generators. Should the mep018 prove satisfactory, I will use the mep018 as primary and the mep003 as a backup.

Circumstances dictate solutions and I believe that where natural gas is available and the infrastructure is robust then natural gas generators are a good solution ... but keep a diesel backup just in case.

Peyton

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they work???

I have a 5,ooow Lowe's that screams and goes through gas like a 12 cylinder. Bought a Mep002a out of Ft. Mead, followed all the post on cleaning fuel tank, fuel filter and oil filter replacement. Good advise on what Battery's to use, fired her right up first try with 720hrs. Found a nice Hubbell spider box and 50amp cord @ Mechanicsburg, wired them in with a little help from SS. Have around $1,000.00 in it and can power anything I have for as long as I want. I do start and load for 1-hr. each month.
Bob.:jumpin:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks