• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I have a transfer case problem?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take it on this newbie as I already have enough issues and I don't really need anyone busting my chops more...

Regarding my 92 M998 that I just got last month. I figure while I was waiting for the title registration issues to be resolved I would fix a few things. I figured out that 4wd shifter lever was not connected inside the shifter mechanism at all when it just pulled out! So I figured I would take it apart and see what was going on. Seems that the shifter lever roll pin was either rusted out, or cut off. There was a piece of the roll pin stuck inside the shifter lever itself, but the ends were not holding it into the female receiver inside the shifter. Things were pretty rusty in there so it could have rusted apart.

So I put in a new roll pin, cleaned up the shifter, painted it to make it look nice and reinstall the shifter mechanism and then adjusted both the automatic and transfer box shifter linkage per the service manuals.

• Put the transfer case shifter into H and started the car and the car was good - car moved forward in drive and backed up in reverse.
  • Tried to put the transfer case in HL with the Tranny in Neutral, engine running, and I heard a grinding noise when I attempted. just backed off immediately. How is the possible with the car in neutral?
  • Shut off engine. Moved shifter to HL. Restarted engine. Put it in drive or reverse, and car would not move.
  • Put the transfer case shifter into H and started the car and the car was good - car moved forward in drive and backed up in reverse.
  • Tried to put the transfer case in L with the Tranny in neutral, engine running, and I heard a grinding noise. Backed off imediately. How is the possible with the car in neutral?
  • Shut off engine. Moved shifter to L. Restarted engine. Put it in drive or reverse, and car would not move.

I am thinking the seller knew there was a problem with the transfer case and disconnected the shifter to avoid changing it out of high where the car worked ok. But why he left a peice of the roll pin inside the transfer case lever is beyond me as he would have had to remove the roll pin entirely to get the shifter out of the shifter mechanism.

So am I now looking at a new transfer case? Or did I botch the linkage adjustment? I doubt it - it is pretty straight forward. Opinions please on what to try next.

Thanks in advance.

papakb

You always want the engine off when shifting the transfer case to avoid grinding. With the engine off you can go under the truck and manually shift the Tcase into and out of range and lock and then restart the truck to verify the Tcase.

If it moves that way you have a shifter problem. If it doesn't you have a Tcase problem.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for all the replies.

I found when I have the engine shut off, if I press on the shifter into HL and maintain pressure, and start the engine, the shifter seems to click into the HL as soon as the engine starts the shifter moves lightly and clicks into HL and the car moves back and forth. So the transfer case is fine. I will try adjusting the linkage better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks