• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I have an exhaust leak???

quadfourgtz

I don't know if I have an exhaust leak or not. I don't hear anything that seems out of the ordinary to me. However, every time I drive the truck, I end up with a slight burning in the back of my throat. Is this normal? I would like to avoid it, without avoiding driving the truck. TIA.

shootiniron

Maybe you oughta leave the bottle at home!rofl Just kidding.The exhaust system is pretty simple when you look at it.If you see any tell tale black or dark streaks at any of the connection points that will tell tha story.All of these trucks will have some sort of outside air intrusion unless you have the cab insulated well.From the turbo to the J pipe is where I'd start looking. HTH

wsucougarx

Hmm, I get a slight burning in the back of my throat when I'm working on her during idle from inhaling that good ole soot. I haven't gotten this from driving her. Have you checked your exhaust joints and manifold for leaks? Plus the lower portion of the J pipe is notorious for rusting...I'd checked that too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have noticed the scratchy throat occasionally in an MV. Last one I noticed it in was, D8daves M817 from down south.

I wonder if it's mildew or mold in the hardboard roof top liner or in the seat covers and cushions.

Exhaust usually burns my eyes.

Mold usually bothers my throat.

bratpackdad

If diesel smoke doesn't bother you when you're around it, I would look at the seats. Mine were pretty dusty and moldy they messed with my kids allergies.

quadfourgtz

cushions seem pretty new with no apparent signs of mildew or mold. Headliner also seems fine. Well I had another issue. I went to move it a few days ago and I didn't start at first. I went and checked the batteries and the negative terminal on the second battery was partly melted. aua I guess I'd better check the connections more frequently. Thing is these batteries are pretty new and I hate to scrap one. Any suggestions? Have any of you used a battery terminal setup that is foolproof? I don't have the batteries secured in the battery box which may have contributed to this.