• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need that resistor?

dieselsmokem35a2

I recently purchased an m1008. I am going throught the truck and trying to fix it up a bit. I noticed that there were some marks on the firewall where there probably used to be something. I researched a bit and learned that there should be a 24-12v relay there. Mine is missing. The previous owner installed a push button for the glowplugs which probably bypassed a bunch of stuff. The truck still has two alternators and two batteries so I am assuming that the starter is still 24v ( I hope so because I just bought a new 24v starter I am putting in). So the question is should I be concerned that this resistor has been removed? Just wondered why it was removed. Any ideas?

Keith_J

Well, the glow plugs could be 24 volt models. The HMMWV uses 24 volt plugs and with the 6.2, they are otherwise identical.

You can either pull one and check the part numbers or you could measure the resistance. IIRC, 12 volt plugs should be in the 6-10 ohm range, 24 volt will be 10-12. Bear in mind, resistance increases with temperature.

m4A1

If the glow plugs are wired to 12v source then you don't need the resister. The resister was designed to allow jump starting from another 24v vehicle by having the starter and glow plugs on 24v.

dmc-4359

How are your batteries wired to each other? That would at least eliminate any confusion one what manner of starter you should be using. It is possible to wire the truck to have two alternators used in parallel to have a 12v system that can run twice the current. Basically, you only use one most of the time but when the voltage drops below the threshold level of the regulators the other will start producing current so that the system returns to the intended voltage output.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks