• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need to beef it up??

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a couple of frame sections to extend the front bumper. I'm eventually going to put on an electric winch (too much cost and work to add a OEM winch to a WO/W). I have 14" sections to put on, and I bought some 1/4" plate to splice the extensions on. I have 2X18" wide pieces for the top and bottom of the frame channel, and 6X18" plates for the side. For some reason I thought the frame was 1/4" (I know, measure twice.....). It's 1018 steel (American, of course!)
I'm going to use the original bolts and new grade 8 bolts to splice the sections using the original bolt hole pattern. Will this be strong enough, or do you think I should add a second 1/4" plate on the sides?? Opinions??

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if all you want it to do is support the bumper and winch that should be fine, but why not just get the winch frame extension pieces? the way i think you intend to do it, the top and bottom 2" wide pieces are the most important, make sure the bolts fit the holes close and with no threads in the hole.
tom

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if all you want it to do is support the bumper and winch that should be fine, but why not just get the winch frame extension pieces? the way i think you intend to do it, the top and bottom 2" wide pieces are the most important, make sure the bolts fit the holes close and with no threads in the hole.
tom
I originally thought about the winch extention pieces, but decided they were too pricey since I wasn't going to put in a stock winch. It would be cheaper and easier just to buy a W/W M35 than to add the parts. I can almost buy a 24v winch for the price of the frame extentions. Thanks for the tip on the bolts though.

Kalashnikov

What size winch are you putting on? Got any specs or a link to it?

1/4" plate is good for over a 12klb winch. I've been using mine fine for years on my F150, not a deuce but it has been stuck pretty well more than a few times.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size winch are you putting on? Got any specs or a link to it?

1/4" plate is good for over a 12klb winch. I've been using mine fine for years on my F150, not a deuce but it has been stuck pretty well more than a few times.
Not sure what I want to use, that's down the list aways. I pretty much need to go through the whole truck first and get it on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks