• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need to pull my tranny out?

raiburn

M1009. Typical symtoms. Late shift. 35mph 1-2, 60mph+ 2-3.
-Nice, clean tranny fluid.
-All new vacuum lines.
-New vacuum modulator.
-about 20hg at idle, at vacuum pump.
-about 10hg at idle, at vacuum modulator.
-I bypassed the vacuum valve by connecting full vacuum to the vacuum modulator, and no change. Still very late, firm shift.
-I removed the governer for inspection. It is very clean, and moves freely.

What is next? I am lost. I hope I don't have to remove this tranny...

dstang97

have you pulled of the inspection cover? you should count the bolts in the TC. Other than that everything you mentioned above sounds right.

jworth94

You probably thought of this already, but did you adjust the vacuum modulator? Out of the box, they seem to shift very high. I turned mine 6-8 turns out...

Jon

tm america

Adjust the modulator first if that doesn't make any change .I would pull the pan and put a new kick down soloniod on there. If the soloniod isnt seating it will give you late shifts.Also pull the the modulator and make sure the modulator valve is moving freely .They can stick on a ridge in the case

raiburn

Thanks, I have backed the screw out one turn on the vac mod. I will try backing it out some more, or is there a way to bench test these things?
Seems like I could use a hand vac pump on it. Would I here a click, or something to know it is working? Joe.

BIG_RED

Unscrewing the vacuum modulator screw one turn did nothing for me. I drove down the road, stopping after cycling through the gears and then getting out, climbing under and unscrewing another turn.. By the time I was done I took the screw right out. Now It almost shifts right. That is with all new hoses and a new vacuum modulator. I suspect the vacuum valve by the ip is no good on my truck though, just so you know. You might have more luck. Good luck.

raiburn

Okay, today I swapped vacuum modulators with the one on my other truck that works fine, no change, still very late shift.
I also ran a long vacuum hose in to the cab to monitor vacuum while driving. So, vacuum pump, vacuum lines, vacuum modulator, and vacuum valve, all seem to be working as they should.
Kickdown switch seems to work with a continuity check.

Now, do I need to pull my tranny out? Joe.

BIG_RED

Well, before I pull a tranny I like to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. Then try it again. Even if your tranny fluid looks new, sometimes this has worked wonders for me. And I really dislike pulling a transmission. Just a thought. I've "fixed" many a transmission and many a steering rack by flushing them with clean fluid. Good Luck!

rickf

Have you adjusted the shift control on the side of the injection pump? It has been a long time since I worked on one but I remember that is where you adjust the shift points.

Rick

raiburn

Yes, Rick. I've adjusted that Vacuum Valve on the side of the injection pump all the way forward, and all the way back. No change either way. I think towards the firewall is lower shift points, and towards the radiator is higher shift points. Joe.

raiburn

FIXED! TM America called it.
Another Indiana Boy I might add...
Kickdown Solenid inside tranny pan. aka Transmission Control Solenoid.
$19 next day at Advance Auto. It is a 1 wire style. They will try to give you one with 2 wires.
Oh yeah, $25 in tranny fluid, $10 for a gasket and filter, $4 drain plug kit.

Thanks Alot Everyone. Joe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks