• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I really need a spare tire?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is dangerous about the winch?
Once you unlocked the rim from the top plate all the weight is supported by the winch cable and ratchet mechanism only.
The ratchet mechanism only works one direction - you have to dis-engage it to lower the wheel.
If you make a mistake, let go of the tool, slip off or use a 3/4 inch ratchet set that is accidentally set to the wrong direction - BOOM

The winch is "dangerous" in this sense, and also because of its mounting location the operator tends to be very close and may inadvertently have a foot or hand right where the wheel smacks onto the ground.

I am not trying to be safety stooge here - just saying that the spare tire winch is not a particularly safe tire lowering device. You have to take care and be alert when lowering a tire.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Let me add to what cattlerepairman said:

If you use the BII lug wrench and bar you have to hold the bar with one hand while reaching in to dis-engage the ratchet. This leaves you holding the weight of the tire with one hand on the bar which is through the end of the lug wench.

I have seen soldiers get knocked in the head or get arms tangled up in the bar as the tire freewheeled to the ground. It can be a dangerous operation if not done with attention to detail and caution.

I use a one inch breaker bar and a socket to hold the tire and release the ratchet. I then jerk the bar out of the socket and let the tire fall to the ground.

ABN173

I personally can not get the lug nuts off even with a long pipe on my 3/4'' breaker bar
I have a 24V 1/2" robotool impact wrench for my roadside needs. I have helped other guys remove their lug nuts several times. I really does the trick. Sometimes there are one or two stubborn ones but some PB blaster normally works.

toddm

I used to carry two spare tires when my truck was singled out. But I only carry the tire in the spare carrier now. As for the left hand and right hand threads. When I flipped my hubs, I had to turn the studs around so I put left hand and right hand back on the correct side again. It confused me to no end when the left rear was right hand and the right was left hand, well that is all fixed now.

Attachments

Last edited:

willy

One SS member made it very clear for me to remember wich way to turn the wrench
Turn it always to the back to loosen and turn forward to tide the nuts
It's wel worth repaeting I wish I had thought off that
Willy:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks