• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I really want a heater?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Heater, I live in New Mexico, and it works good for keeping the windshield frost free on cold mornings.
DITTO!!

Not cold enough here for a heater but it's sure nice for defrosting.

GoHot229

I'm not too far from your climate in NC. and... yea it would be nice to have, but nessesary....No, that is... In the cold cold times we sometime have, I will have to use a windsheild squeegee from inside ocassionally for fogging. The thing is, the windshield ice or snow, which you or I occasionally get has to be scraped at first before I go, then in about 10-15 miles the engine compartment heats up and radiates some into the cab and the hood as well so the windshield stays good with just the wipers (electric) So .....do you need one ? not really, but as was said by others, it's nice to have all the same and not NEED it, As far as the oil filters and such, they drain back into the block and when you loosen and pull them theres usually not any mess, on other words it dosn;t turn into a TASK. Your worrys are weak there. Personally, I'd put it in, in a heartbeat if it were me, but then in the summer I dont know if it adds to the radiated heat from the engine compartment or not, thus additionally heating the cab when it's least wanted?

steelandcanvas

I dont know if it adds to the radiated heat from the engine compartment or not, thus additionally heating the cab when it's least wanted?
The heater kit contains petcocks to install on the engine block where the hot coolant is tapped. This will prevent the circulation of coolant into the personnel heater core. This was probably designed to isolate the core for maintenance and/or replacement.

Last edited:

venom8343

heater

Well I'll tell you what i did, I didnt mess with any of that military heater stuff. I installed me a 12v cigarette outlet on my dash then poof, plugged in a 12v defroster deal. Actually installed a whole fuse box for my rig and yes you can hook up 12v to them rigs off the battery. Then you have nothing at all in the way in the engine compartment and it was very very easy.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the heater and all the components needed to install it, you can sit on the idea for a spell. If you're undecided, just keep everything boxed and off to the side for now. Drive the truck through a few seasons and see what you think. Summer is near. No rush.

One thing I've learned, (though it's taken a lot of years), is to exercise more patience on decisions that don't really have to be made in an instant.

Assemble everything needed. Keep it all handy. Then one day, either you'll say, "Man, I need to put this heater in this truck!" Or, you'll say, "Man, I don't see a need for this box of heater parts. I think I'll post it up for sale on SS!" Either way, you'll be o.k.!

SasquatchSanta

IMHO Having the heater, or anything else obstructing the port side of the engine is a serious inconvenience

When we installed the LDS engine in Rosie, to make room for the prelube pump we moved the heater to a location up under the dash. In dong so we shortened the assembly and converted it to a defroster only operation. A second after-market heater was installed under the passenders seat to serve as a cab heater. Neither of these installations pull air from the outside. My finding is that there is enough breeze blowing through the truck to offset not having a fresh air vent.

I'm attaching some pictures. Also attached is a picture of the prelube pump mounted where the heater once was. As you can see --- it too is in the way. As we get older we get wiser --- I think if I had it to do over I would have simply went with the Jatonka filter system and stayed away from the expensive and cumbersome prelube system. The damned thing is always in the way when you want to do anything to the port side of the engine. With an Amsoil bypass filter (the black filter mounted on the firewall in the prelube pump picture) I question that the prelube system is needed. BUT --- as Bjorn says ... these projects keep us off the street.

I'd modify and mount the heater up under the dash.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't suggest frequently opening and closing the petcocks mentioned above. They break easily when they stick from sitting. I have one on a deuce in my yard that was closed and it broke when I tried to open it. Not a big deal, but I have to replace it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the heater and all the components needed to install it, you can sit on the idea for a spell. If you're undecided, just keep everything boxed and off to the side for now. Drive the truck through a few seasons and see what you think. Summer is near. No rush.

One thing I've learned, (though it's taken a lot of years), is to exercise more patience on decisions that don't really have to be made in an instant.

Assemble everything needed. Keep it all handy. Then one day, either you'll say, "Man, I need to put this heater in this truck!" Or, you'll say, "Man, I don't see a need for this box of heater parts. I think I'll post it up for sale on SS!" Either way, you'll be o.k.!
I've been through 2 winters already so I know what it's like without a heater :wink:. I think I'm going to take your suggestion and wait awhile. I'm taking everyone's comments into my decision.

Sumoman

Have a Jeep with no heater.... Ahhhh lets just say install it and use it when needed, not having a heater in a vehicle sucks, moisture freezes on the windshield, feet are cold, your coffee gets icy in 3 minutes..:roll:

Whidbey

Reading this post and others about poor coolant heater output and I was inspired to try an idea, a "Dual Core" in cab heater box. It's my shot at improving the heat output of the coolant heater box by moving it from under the hood to inside the cab drawing in recirculated air and improve the output.
It is now about 1/2 the original length but has two cores. I will feed coolant into the air exit end first and then through blower in end last.
I'm posting where I'm at as of this evening. I reconfigured the air control box by reversing the flap lever and put the mounts on what was the front side and now it feeds from the passenger side. I fitted it all up with the heater box empty (lighter to handle and align) under the passenger side glove box. My goal is as far back and high as possible. I'll post the final finished install (hopefully tomorrow evening).

Attachments

Jake0147

I put a heater in mine, under the dash. It's great to pre-warm the windshield when there's condensation in the morning. I live by a big lake in a valley so there's fog virtually every morning. Wet glass, wind from driving, the glass cools and gets more condensation... It is VERY nice to be able to pre-warm the glass before I leave, however after that I have found absolutely no use for it. If authenticity is not a requirement, under the dash is a much more practical location. It looks like it'd be terribly in the way, but it isn't.

If you find you're lacking for heat in the winter time, you've got two choices. Upgrade your heater as Whidbey did, or open the driver's window about half way. That lets air OUT more than in, and anybody with a soft top knows how they "inflate" going down the road. If your windshields are closed, then that's hot air coming in from the engine bay. Opening the window half way lets the cold air out, and the cab warms up really nicely...