• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Do not park in gear"

Bighurt

I've parked mine in gear on a hill, The fact that my parking brake is bad is why. The only downside I've seen is if you forget its in gear and try and start the truck....the starter will move the truck...

Westech

CPL
It could start up and drive away by itself... I've heard of it happening
It has happened! A multi fuel can start with one cylinder firing and away she goes. It happened on a military base where a bad storm came and the wind pushed a shop van just enough where it started and she drove in to a warehouse.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Left over from the old sprag 6x6. It would damage the drive train. I don't leave it in gear anyway, Parking brake and wheel chock.
I've never heard it having to do with the sprag. Reason I was always told was the the multi is all mechanical-doesn't need the electrical system to run or start.

Leave deuce in gear + something big bumps into it = deuce starts ad drives away until it hits something.

Ask my Dad about the deuce that was left in gear in 1966 in Wildflecken, Germany and the tracked vehicle that bumped into it and away it went.

emr

Left over from the old sprag 6x6. It would damage the drive train. I don't leave it in gear anyway, Parking brake and wheel chock.

actually not correct, It is due to the fact the these multis start and run so easy, they can jump in only a couple of feet, it was due to the fact that, actuall events of deuces left in gear that had a bump from the rear they would start and drive down the way, so it was a bulletin and then in the PM s also, it clearly states why, Also...these trucks will start so easy u can jump em backwards and the motor will run backwards, exhaust out the air intake and the air sucked in thru the exhaust. Most guys around here in years past always leave the fuel shut off out as an aditional sayfety feature, I do that always in my deuces, no fuel no start, simple.

saddamsnightmare

May 1st, 2010.

JCKnife & Co.:8)

As stated above by several members, diesels are notoriously able to start without use of the electrical system, particularly ones like ours with mechanical shut offs on the fuel lines. Leave the engine stop switch "IN", truck in gear and any motion or bump, will turn the diesel over and off she goes..... often WITHOUT a driver. Hence the -10 statement about not parking in gear....:(.
My truck now has a fuel shut off lock, to lock the stop switch in the out position, plus the steering chain, plus, sooner or later a parking brake and transfer case lock system.... AND chocks, just to make sure the truck doesn't go on any joy rides without me....:arrow:!

There's a reason for EVERYTHING in the TM, because some GI figured out a way to screw things up without reading and applying same......:confused:

Have fun, stay safe,

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Au contraire, an OM352 MB 4-stroke engine will certainly run backwards. Yep it's weird to have exhaust coming out the air intake.

It's also a weird feeling to have first gear take you backwards and vice versa..

Been there, done that.

Bob

Nope, not unless you have a Detroit 2 stroke in your Deuce. A 4 stroke isn't going to run backwards.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me and Randy on this one, the multi will run backerds. I had it happen to my current truck on the trail at the GA rally 2008. Skeered the bejesus out of me! Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it first hand.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this thread. I didnt know why either but suspected something of the sort. With all this starting without a operator reminds me of the movie "Maximum Overdrive". :mrgreen:

Capt.Marion

If you park it in gear, just leave the engine stop cable out. Personally, I don't park mine in gear except for when I'm on the road and I have to park somewhere that is a bit of a grade.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too, have experienced the reverse enging start, on a multi-fuel deuce.

Also seen it firsthand on a Cat D4.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Au contraire, an OM352 MB 4-stroke engine will certainly run backwards. Yep it's weird to have exhaust coming out the air intake.
Happened to me also in a 416 on a failed hill climb. It spat smoke out the air filter snorkle and scared the heck outa me. I thought I ruined it.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks