• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the BFG Baja balance and are they round

Glider

I have Trail Worthy Fab beadlock inserts on 12 bolts with Goodyear MT OZ, centramatics, and the tires balanced also. The tires are not round and it shows at speed (70mph I have 4 speed). Do the Baja run true? I like the wheels and the inserts so looking for best 16.5 option. I know super swamper makes one that will fit but I don't know how well they will ride or wear.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put NOS BAJAs on the DuraVee with Trailworthy bead locks and Centramatics, no balance and they are fine at well above legal speeds.
I did use 24 bolt wheels, not sure if that made any difference but have read they tend to run a little truer than the 12 bolt, I have no real knowledge if that is correct.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the Feltz Tire 2018+ 100% tread bajas and so far they are running perfectly.
One was 9.5oz out of balance, and all the others were less than that, and all took at least 6 oz of weight to balance them out.
Also running centramatics, 24 bolt staggered rims, and run flats.

Part of the problem with out of round surplus tires is if they were installed onto a vehicle/trailer, they had weight on them on one spot, causing the out of round. That's how my truck came to me from Yermo.
The Feltz tires were apparently mounted on rims, then sat in the warehouse until they got surplussed out, so no weight on them to make them out of round.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the Baja run true?
Better than other brands - same size, IMHO.
But as Coug said, if you had a tire that sat kind of flat for months due to low air/ heavy weight it may have deformed, permanently.

Have you examined the wheels? Besides relatively high runout/ out-of-round tolerances (inherent to all military wheels it seems...), the main problem with these is the correct alignment between both halves. Ideally, there would be a pair of dowel pins to ensure adequate & consistent centering during assembly. But then it wouldn't be wheels for the military...:wink:

IMG-20220910-WA0000.jpg IMG-20220910-WA0001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks