• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the longer bows on a deuce have any value?

Sevensteps

I bought a winch deuce yesterday. It is installed with bows in the back that are taller than standard bows. The truck was apparently used for some sort of mobile command office because the tailgate has an attachment for stairs? on it. The taller bows allow you to stand up in the back of the truck.

Do these longer bows have any value beyond a normal set? I would imagine that you would have to have a corresponding taller cargo cover too.

72cj5

Welcome....Congrats on the new Deuce! I would not say the long bows are worth any more than standard. And you are right with the cover being diffrent. But you can cut you long bows down to standard length if desired.And use a standard cover. What part of TN are you in?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bows normally are not longer, they are just raised up about a foot or so and held up with a bolt throught them.

Sevensteps

Welcome....Congrats on the new Deuce! I would not say the long bows are worth any more than standard. And you are right with the cover being diffrent. But you can cut you long bows down to standard length if desired.And use a standard cover. What part of TN are you in?
Thanks~ I am in Crossville....The truck came from McMinnville. I got it for $2500, but it only runs for a couple of minutes and then quits. It has a clear Tennessee title....I think the former owner put vegetable oil in it and it has clogged something up. We had to squirt a little ether in the air cleaner to milk it on the trailer.

I have a former Vietnam deuce mechanic looking at it.

I'd prefer not to cut and weld the bows. I was kinda hoping they were more valuable than the standard bows that way I may be able to work a straight trade for a standard set of bows. The truck currently has a standard cargo cover on it, but it's too short for the bows.

I have two non-winch trucks, (Frankfort and Forest Park), that are waiting on the EUC's to clear. I hope that still works out with all of the current demil discussions. One of them has a cargo cover and one of them has some standard bows in the back, (if someone doesn't "liberate" them before I pick the truck up).

1stDeuce

The standard deuce bows are either fiberglass or wood. Not metal, so you've got yourself a custom made set of bows there it seems. :)

I use small C-clamps to clamp the bows on my truck a foot or so higher for parades, and then I roll up the sides of the cover so the top of it makes a sun shade for the riders in the back.

So far as I know, there was no taller cover. The army took the standard cover and added a foot or two of canvas or vinyl or another cover onto the bottom of it if they raised it up a lot.

From the pic, yours looks like it's only up 6" or so... The cover usually sticks up above the cab about a foot.
Nice truck too!
Chris

Oh, btw, until you familiarize yourself with the winch, you might want to run the chain through the clevises so it's rather tight. Doing this kept mine from self-destructing the radiator when one of my friends who was not familiar engaged the clutch with the lever in "FWD" once. Check that it has a proper aluminum shear pin right where the shaft attaches to the winch. That'll save even more cost in the event of accidental use.

Last edited:

Sevensteps

The standard deuce bows are either fiberglass or wood. Not metal, so you've got yourself a custom made set of bows there it seems. :)

I use small C-clamps to clamp the bows on my truck a foot or so higher for parades, and then I roll up the sides of the cover so the top of it makes a sun shade for the riders in the back.

So far as I know, there was no taller cover. The army took the standard cover and added a foot or two of canvas or vinyl or another cover onto the bottom of it if they raised it up a lot.

From the pic, yours looks like it's only up 6" or so... The cover usually sticks up above the cab about a foot.
Nice truck too!
Chris

Oh, btw, until you familiarize yourself with the winch, you might want to run the chain through the clevises so it's rather tight. Doing this kept mine from self-destructing the radiator when one of my friends who was not familiar engaged the clutch with the lever in "FWD" once. Check that it has a proper aluminum shear pin right where the shaft attaches to the winch. That'll save even more cost in the event of accidental use.
Thanks for the advice on the winch...I am completely new to this.

Here's a side view of the truck before I picked it up. The former owner used it for some temporary storage, (thus the items in the back).

The bows look factory made and have heavy OD paint on them. I think it came from the Ill National Guard this way.

Attachments

ida34

Probaby HEMTT bows if they are metal. The look of the top in the picture looks like a HEMTT bow. They have a distinct peak in the middle unlike the gradual curve of a wood bow. HEMTT bows are also taller than deuce bows so I am 99.9% sure you have HEMTT bows. They are nice to have and are worth a bit more then regular deuce bows. Some have cut them down at the bottom to use with a standard cargo cover on the deuce. I think Gimpyrobb has some for sale in the classifieds. The were a great deal if still available. I don't think you will have a problem with a straight up trade. On the running problem, change all the fuel filters. The primary is under the alternator on the front passenger's side frame rail. The secondary and final are on the driver's side of the engine. The filter numbers are available by a search or in the interchange on the old site.

Last edited:

Steamynachos

All the Canadian trucks have the tall bows in the back so you can stand up in the back you might might be able to get a Canadian cover from GMA cover for it. It's a lot easier on the back when doing something in the cargo area.

ida34

If you want to keep the things tall then I think a MTV or a FMTV cover fits better from what I am told.

ironhorsethegeneral

The FMTV cover does work we have one. We also have a set of adjustable bows. We also have a set of fiberglass and steel bows that are used for the short top. We use different tops according to where we are going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks