• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do the mep 007 gensets have any inherent problems

Philratcliffe

We are looking to step up our generators. We currently are running mep 005s two at a time to keep up with our demand and are growing rapidly so need to step up to 100kw +
We plan to buy 3 100kw gensets.
I read the 3126 4cyl was having issues with the fuel injection system and it’s very costly to replace the pump and injectors. I saw a few YouTube vids on how to resolve and protect the fuel system from debris that can cause those problems. Are the newer 007s more sophisticated units that the mid 80s 007s with the 3306? Does the 3306 have any issues. Thanks in advance for any info on these units!

Chainbreaker

I'm sure Guy will have an opinion on the -007 series, or anyone else that might have one. It might even be one of the Models, gensets that is, that Guy slept with...lol ;)

I have a copy of the Guide (attached below) that has an overview of the MEP-007B. It begins on "PDF pg 158" (printed pg 152) that has a lot of spec's for the unit and its 6 cyl engine.

Also, Guy has downloaded a set of -007B TM's that he placed in the TM section.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
As far as I am concerned, the 007B is a solid gen set. I never slept on this one, but ran a few for lots of hours.

The batteries were a problem. But that was always a problem, until the Army started installing AGM and GEL cell batteries. Those problems stopped then.

Another problem area was the over speed switch. There is an OLD version, and a NEW version. The old one was prone to failure. The new version was vastly better.

The 100 KW family was a low density item. So some engine parts were hard to get. But I think that this should not be a problem in today's world. This engine is used world wide.

One good thing is that the gen set is a, what we call DOD set. Pre TQG. Its a common parts family of gen sets. Many of the parts on the 007B will fit on lots of smaller gen set in the family. So when looking for those kinds of parts, you can use the other gen sets in you search engine. The control panel should be about the same as the 004A-007B sets. And so on.

This was one gen set I never saw on a M200A1 trailer. There were two other trailer setups I can remember. Its bigger, heavier.

jmenende

About the 007b. The lip seal on the governor linkage breaks and leaks causing the system to loose prime. The injection pump should be rebuilt if its been sitting for a long time. If the avr is bad and an aftermarket avr can be installed with the use of resistors. The transducer shielding melts and leaks tar goo all over the panel and down the housing. The rubber fuel filler neck is usually bad and needs replacing (good luck finding that part). I have rebuilt a few of these and these were the issues i had to deal with. After that, solid unit.

Guyfang

Staff member
The thermal watt converter melting is a common problem in the DOD world. There are parts for sale. This is another part I think needs to be reverse engineered.

I never had to deal with a set that had sat a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks