• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do You Cover Your 803?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was putting batteries in my new 2006-803A and noticed that the foam that goes over the lower drain hole sits about an inch above the floor. My 2004-803A has the foam right against the floor. I don't know if it was installed improperly or if it is a design change but it certainly won't keep varmints out [I doubt the foam right on the floor will either for that matter]. I lifted the generator up and there is a 6x6 hole. I could get my fingers in all the way around. So in addition to making up inserts for the side vents like I did for my old 803A [see photo in previous post] I installed a piece of perforated stainless steel I had to keep the mice and squirrels outView attachment 670050
Where did you source this material? Might be time to take a trip to the local Lowes and see if they sell perforated sheet.

dav5

Sorry I'm not sure where I got it. I just had it under my work bench. I think a buddy got it for me from a scrap dealer. You could get a piece of aluminum and drill a bunch of holes in it. You can cut aluminum on a table saw with a fine tooth carbide blade.

csheath

Galvanized hardware cloth is a good material for covering holes to prevent rodents form entering. It's available in 1/2" almost anywhere and can be ordered with 1/4" holes off that auction site. I had to put it around the duct shielding for my home AC unit after having a rat get in that space once. I will eventually put it in the bottom of my 803 and should have already done it since I have some of that material on hand.

dav5

I used the 1/4 screen on my new 803A with zip ties . I bought it at TSC. I would use something more substantial on the bottom hole. It is not used for air flow just drainage and the time to put it on is before you install it because you will probably never be able to see it again to check it's integrity IMG_0726.jpgonce it is in place.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The material is call Sound Controlling Blanket, or Acoustic Blanket. Comes in sheets. NSN: 5640-01-152-2292, Part Number: 88-21110 . $33.74 a sheet, army price.

Manufacturer:
SOUNDCOAT COMPANY INC THE1 BURT DRIVEDEER PARKNY11729-5756UNITED STATES

Phone number: 631-242-2200

WIDTH24 INCHES NOMINAL
THICKNESS1 INCHES NOMINAL
NOISE REDUCTION COEFFICIENT RATING0 3/5 NOMINAL
LAYER MATERIALPLASTIC, POLYURETHANE FOAM
SPECIAL FEATURESMAXIMUM TEMP IS P250 DEG F; COLOR IS CHARCOAL GRAY
SUPPLEMENTARY FEATURESLENGTH IS 54 INCHES

Cant swear that the phone number is still good. My info is a bit old.

When installed, it will reduce the DB of this set. Most of he time its not installed, or oil soaked.

Last edited:

Zed254

I bought a couple 18-wheeler mud flaps: one is tied to the top vent to keep out snow and debris. I cut pieces from the other to cover the air intake vents. Intake vents have a V hook made by bending a corner brace to hang them in place. I secure all three with cord.MEP803A Air Vent Covers.jpg

Zed254

More Details on Post #28 - Mud Flap Covers.....

I buy 3 foot mud flaps and cut them to fit then tie them in place with para-cord. I make a small hook to hang the vertical ones in place (see pics) and secure them with a loop of cord around the lower ends. I use the upper door handles to secure the top flap. The bottom 6" x 6" hole gets covered with doubled over rat wire. And I put a plastic jar of moth balls next to the generator head to keep that fresh 'new vehicle' smell.

Attachments

paine

Hi, new to the forum but have been soaking up info on and off for some time now in preparation for the 2007 803a I am picking up this Thursday. Thanks to all for the info provided on here!!

i have some other questions such as what to check on a MEP before signing the pick up paper work, I thought a saw a post a while back regarding that but I guess I should post a new topic on that!

anyway about the mice, I have used this stuff with good results... it is not as cheap as moth balls but does have a bonus of smelling like a xmas tree! Which is nice when used in the cab of a truck all winter!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fresh-cab-1-botanical-rodent-repellant-10-oz

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are fine to leave outside, the enclosure is weatherproof. But I have mine on harbor freight casters, just push it out the shop when needed.
what weight load are those Harbor Freight casters and how are they holding up for you? where did you mount them on the rails?

Thank you,

jaxbill

Has anyone kept their 803 outside exposed to rain for long periods of time? I was thinking of hooking one to an ATS and wouldn't be able to cover/uncover it.

Zed254

Has anyone kept their 803 outside exposed to rain for long periods of time? I was thinking of hooking one to an ATS and wouldn't be able to cover/uncover it.
Mine is outside. The radiator got packed with snow one time so now I cover the vents with sections of truck mud flaps to keep snow, ice, leaf debris out. I believe the covers (flaps) help keep insects and rodents out, too. Posts 28 & 34 show details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks