• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you drive your CUCV in the winter salt?

Finnegan1008

For those of you that drive your truck in the salt belt what is been your methods of surface rust elimination/ stoppage

Also what have you done to guard against new rust?

Has anyone done a good job with paint with the cab on?

Has your method been effective?

I know there is an ongoing debate on lanolin/ oil based under coating vs paint. Personally I think the oil spray stuff works well but I hate the mess.

Cosmoline tends to not flow very well and I want to get something into my panel seams

87cr250r

New trucks sometimes come with a self-healing coating based on a thixotropic gelled calcium sulfonate formula. It's fairly inexpensive and availability in rattle can.

It does not penetrate into joint seams (maybe it does but it was very cold when I sprayed it and the can kept clogging).

It looks like paint with a bit of texture and dries to a firm coating that is a bit sticky if you try to smear it. It can be applied over marginally prepared surfaces (remove loose rust, dirt, and degrease).

I don't think lanolin will soften the coating. Perhaps the X-121b could be bulk applied first and the lanolin used to soak into seams.

Sezzo

Never had, never will. Get a daily driver for the salty seasons and don’t preserve your CUCV with whatever is there on the market. There are hundreds of areas where you won’t get any oil or fluid on unless you disassemble the truck. And this is exactly where salt will eat up your truck alive. If you see the rust it is already too late.

nyoffroad

You heard it, well read it, don't do it if you want to keep the truck. It's not just salt any more. Here in NY they are using some liquid stuff that makes salt look good! If you do have to drive it in the winter wash it often. Not just the outside but the underside, that will help prolong the life of the truck but it will not stop the rust! That salt water gets EVERWHERE on and in the truck including all the places you can't get with a hose.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Down in Corpus Christi, TX you can drive on the beach.
Sure it’s fun and such, but you’re driving in salty sand and occasionally water. The ocean spray leaves a film of salt on everything!!!

The car washes there have spray systems you drive over and stop while it washes the underside of your vehicle.
Works very well getting “most” of the salty sand and sea water remnants off.

Even with that, it isn’t good enough and tons of vehicles down there are extremely rusted, like the NE.

I personally would never consider driving my CUCV in those conditions unless an emergency.

If you’ve already done it, you’ll see the effects eventually. Probably sooner than later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks