• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do You Know The Answer? Replacing Split-Rims w/ 15-22.5's

cr4x4cruiser

I am at a loss. Have been trying to find out the information I need, but have come up craps.

I have a truck with 15-22.50 tires on it. They are mounted to Split-Rims, and I would like to switch to Single-Piece Rims.

Any good source I can go to, so that I may be able to find what I'm looking for?

Might anyone know if GL might selll what I need (and what NSN number I need to look for)?

I know that the wheel setback and offset will be required, but I would at least like to find a source that is knowledgeable about this topic.

Any/ all information is appreciated.

Westech

CPL
RE: Do You Know The Answer? Replacing Split-Rims w/ 15-22.5

I would guess a 5 ton due to the 22.5's having 10 lugs..... yes you can install military type 20" split rims or the "combat" type wheel. Im sure some one here has some. M1075 is a great guy to deal with and he has some "combat" rims for the 5 ton.

cr4x4cruiser

Yeah, It Might help If You Knew The Chassis...

1982 International Harvester 1854 4X4

Fire-Tec Cab-Forward body installed

USAF AFFF Crash Truck

NSN / FSN: 4210-00-484-5729

* Most of the trucks were delivered in the standard Cab/ Chassis design.

I got "lucky", and ended up with the rare design.

The white truck is the stock design, while the green truck is what I bought.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate specific details for this design (but rather, only details for the "stock" truck).

More info. required? Just ask...

Attachments

outsider

First thing you need to do is go recheck the tire size you currently have. A 22.5" is a tubeless tire and would be on a single piece rim. Split rims come in 20" and 22" dimentions, and hope its not a 22" as I haven't seen those in eons.

It is hard to see the rims on the green one as the angle is too steep to get a good look, but from what I can tell those look to be dayton style rims, and look to be tubeless 22.5" which would be a single piece rim. If I could get a better look I might be able to be of more help.
Steve

cr4x4cruiser

Well, smack me in the head with a tire iron!

Steve,

You are quite likely correct about the rim. It is indeed a 22.5" diameter (at least based upon the tire dimensions - see photo of tire on the rig).

Unfortunately I am in CA and the truck is in NY (stored at a friend's home). When I bought and moved it, it was in the middle of winter - and I ended up becoming sick as a dog. Which led to my leaving on short notice.

My friend is not too knowledgeable about medium-duty trucks, so it becomes hit or miss on getting info. I do plan on going back for a week or two real soon, and plan on outfitting for proper use (license, registration, new tires, etc.).

Maybe it is only because I do not understand this type of rim design (Dayton) that it caused me to believe it was a split-rim. Honestly, it appears as if the center part (black) is separate from the outer part (green). Maybe they were painted this way for effect or show, but it certainly threw me offtrack.

I think you have given me the correct information. I'm going to ask my friend to take a good look at them this weekend, while I track down a set of tires to purchase (the tires are suffering from checking and cracking - too old to be trusted).

Thanks for the reply, and I'll let you know the outcome asap.

- Wm.

Attachments

comdiver

RE: Well, smack me in the head with a tire iron!

You may not have the correct tire and wheel combo, could be dangerous! Your tires do say 15-22.5 but your wheels may be 22" if they are two piece rims. A very dangerous combination. Accuride makes a lot of truck wheels and has a good website and catalog. If you keep the 15-22.5 size tires you will need a wheel 11.75" or 12.25" wide. From the little I can see they do look like Dayton rims.A big truck junk/parts yard should be able to help you, even with tires. Send your friend some pictures out of the catalog. What part of NY is the truck in?

cr4x4cruiser

DoD Wouldn't Use Such A Dangerous Combination, Right?

I am willing to wager that the rims are indeed single-piece units. The truck is pretty much original, and I doubt the volunteer company that got this rig would have spent the money to do anything with the tires and wheels.

Actually, GSA took control of the rig, then tried to find a user for it. The fire company claimed that it needed repairs that they could not afford - and returned it to GSA. They, in turn, put it up for auction.

When I picked up the truck (sight unseen - in person), it took us all of fifteen minutes to fire it up - in the dead of winter, at below-freezing temps. No smoke, no knocking, no nothing.

Save for a bent tie-rod, this rig is as close to new as you can get (under 12K original miles). As well, the tires may be one of those original parts on it. I had it moved to NY in anticipation of bringing it back to L.A. However, the GSA messed up the Title, and that was a setback - along with fuel prices in the stratosphere.

Finally, the Title is sorted out and I am going to try to get this thing registered. Save for the misc. bits and pieces I am almost ready to put it on the highway. Which is why I am so interested in tires for this rig. The tires may be fine for playing off-road, but I need tires for a real roadtrip.

As I said, we'll get the details on those rims this weekend. Then we'll know the rest of the story...

As for its location, it is in Broome County (Southern Tier/ north of Binghamton).

I've enclosed another picture that may help you experts tell me these rims are what I needed - and already had all along...

Thnaks for all the help,

- Wm.

Attachments

pa.rich

Those wheels shouldnt be a problem. They are on thousands of heavy trucks now. Just take it to any heavy tire shop and they will take care of it. There is a good tire place on Conklin Ave in Binghamton. Nearby in Broome County . I work in Broome Cty. P.M. me if you need me to do anything for you. I live only half hour away. P. M. me if you want help .

Emseamotorsports

Try looking up Silverstone Inc, they make all types of heavy duty wheels. 22.5 x 13 inch wide to fit the 15-22.5,s. Last I knew they were about $200 each, hope that helps you. Mikey @ EmseaMotorsports 920-360-4929

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks