• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you solder the trailer connections on?

ross165123

How does one connect wires to the trailer connector? Do you just crimp it or solder it?

20151018_211336.jpg

BTW this is the back side of the male connector

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, those pins have what is called SOLDER CUPS on the wire end of the pin. It's best NOT to do any soldering with the pins inserted in the rubber block. The heat transfer is not healthy for the weatherproof flexibility of the rubber stuff.
They DO make a TOOL for properly removing the pins from the connector that will retract the retention spring feature on the pin and release it from its interlock. You simply flip the tool over and its then used as an insertion tool to assure the pins are properly seated and the retention spring feature actually engages properly.
While it IS POSSIBLE to remove and reinsert the pins without the tool, your results may vary.

Carry on.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can use a pair of needle nose pliars to hold the pin as you are soldering the wires in. Just put a rubber band on the handle. If you get extra solder on the side it can be filed off with a small file before you put the pin back into the connector.

ross165123

Yes, those pins have what is called SOLDER CUPS on the wire end of the pin. It's best NOT to do any soldering with the pins inserted in the rubber block. The heat transfer is not healthy for the weatherproof flexibility of the rubber stuff.
They DO make a TOOL for properly removing the pins from the connector that will retract the retention spring feature on the pin and release it from its interlock. You simply flip the tool over and its then used as an insertion tool to assure the pins are properly seated and the retention spring feature actually engages properly.
While it IS POSSIBLE to remove and reinsert the pins without the tool, your results may vary.

Carry on.

Do you know where i can find this tool or what it is called? I cant seem to get the pins out without screwing them up or bending the tips.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the CANNON CONECTOR Overview Brochure.... In the intro there is an interesting timeline of connectivity development.

https://www.ittcannon.com/Core/medi...logs-Brochures/Product-Portfolio.pdf?ext=.pdf

Some styles of Insertion/Extraction Tools are shown on PAGE 60 of this Catalog:
https://www.ittcannon.com/Core/medi...T-Cannon-CA-Bayonet-Catalog-1015.pdf?ext=.pdf
although, these are not the type our wire harness shop and avionics installers used when I worked for an aircraft manufacturer.

The took I recall looked like a 5 inch long toothpick with a middle square cross-section (about 1/2"x1/2") that served as a handle. One tapered end was for insertion, the other was for extraction.

I'm still browsing manufacturers' catalogs to see if I can find them.
They may have just been included as a salesman's courtesy trinket with bulk order, kinds like matchbooks, key fobs, and letter openers given away in other trades.

....stay tuned for additional poop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks