• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you think an M931A2 will do this?

pcarexpress

Hello, my first post here. I'm interested in what other folks think. I just tore down my house in preparation of building a new one in the same spot. I ordered a small 16x66 mobile home to live in during construction. My driveway is about a quarter mile of gravel with a decent slope. Nothing terrible---my wife's mini goes up and down it everyday with minimal slippage. A couple of people have told me that I'm going to have to get a dozer to pull the mobile home up the driveway. My 2500 Ram will pull a 5 ton dump trailer up the hill in four wheel drive. I recently bought an M931A2 off GP. I ordered a 21,000 lb hitch to convert it to a ball. Am I crazy to think that thing will pull that mobile home up that hill? It's 6 wheel drive. The mobile home weighs about 7 or 8 tons, best calculation (one ton per wheel +1 ton for the tongue). I'm all for hiring a dozer to pull it up the hill. But, we recently had a huge fire in my neck of the woods that destroyed about 300 plus homes and finding someone who's not turning down work every day is difficult. I've never run a dozer before, but I checked into it and I can rent one for about $3000. But, it still wouldn't have the proper hitches etc to hook it to the trailer. I'm interested in what other folks think. Anyone pulled a similar weight load in the military with one of these? You think it"ll work? And I'm just asking for opinions and I take them for just that---an opinion. Thank you for your input.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use the dozer with chains around the blade. The 6x6 would do it. Even chain it to the 2500 in front if the front starts slipping. Just remember not to backup if you are in low range.

jasonjc

My road coming up from the bottom is bad , I had a dubble wide and a 16x80 both delivred with out any problems. At most you mite have to hook a chain and help them pull it up the hill.

pcarexpress

Great. Thank you for your help. I wasn't aware of the backing issue in low. I'm picking up the Truck this week so I haven't even driven it yet. I feel better now about my plan. Thank you.

buggyman

I think you have “can” answered your own question. I havemany of the same types of equipment as you. My 923A2, 6x6 weights about 23,000lbs pulls almost the exact amount as my grader, which weights about 27,000 lbsa 6x4. I also have a Dodge 4x4, weights about 6000 lbs, and a dump trailer.
If the pickup will pull a ratio 1.6 then the 923should pull at least 38,000 lbs, really even a little more.
Happy Pulling : )
Paul

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great. Thank you for your help. I wasn't aware of the backing issue in low. I'm picking up the Truck this week so I haven't even driven it yet. I feel better now about my plan. Thank you.
It is covered in the -10 operators TM .
This along with improper start-up/shut down procedures can rack up some pretty heffy bills .
Please read the -10 TM before picking up the truck .

TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

You may want to read this thread also
[h=1]Don't Use Low Range Reverse with 939's? Here's Why !![/h]

Last edited:

pcarexpress

Yes, when I heard that about reversing in low. I figured I should probably find and read a manual before I ruin something before I even got the truck home. I read through those TMs several times the other day and I plan to go through them again before I pick it up this Wednesday. Thanks for the heads up. That could have been a really expensive lesson for sure.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck should be able to pull what your looking to do without any problem but with that said you may want to consider a set of chains on the tires if for nothing else a little piece of mind! Of course that would depend on what the road your talking about is made of, if its gravel or dirt chains help if the road is paved chains will hurt your efforts AND tear up the paved surface! Good luck and you should have no problems!
KK

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight issue won't be a problem. Traction might be, it just depends on if the trailer has enough tongue weight to load the truck enough and if the driveway is solid enough to support the weight without sinking up.

quickfarms

Where did you find a 21,000 lb hitch

If you are going to use a tractor for any serious pulling you will need some real weight on the fifth wheel, this can be anything from a weight box, trench plates to a flatbed, with a load, attached to the fifth wheel.

Csm Davis

Hello, my first post here. I'm interested in what other folks think. I just tore down my house in preparation of building a new one in the same spot. I ordered a small 16x66 mobile home to live in during construction. My driveway is about a quarter mile of gravel with a decent slope. Nothing terrible---my wife's mini goes up and down it everyday with minimal slippage. A couple of people have told me that I'm going to have to get a dozer to pull the mobile home up the driveway. My 2500 Ram will pull a 5 ton dump trailer up the hill in four wheel drive. I recently bought an M931A2 off GP. I ordered a 21,000 lb hitch to convert it to a ball. Am I crazy to think that thing will pull that mobile home up that hill? It's 6 wheel drive. The mobile home weighs about 7 or 8 tons, best calculation (one ton per wheel +1 ton for the tongue). I'm all for hiring a dozer to pull it up the hill. But, we recently had a huge fire in my neck of the woods that destroyed about 300 plus homes and finding someone who's not turning down work every day is difficult. I've never run a dozer before, but I checked into it and I can rent one for about $3000. But, it still wouldn't have the proper hitches etc to hook it to the trailer. I'm interested in what other folks think. Anyone pulled a similar weight load in the military with one of these? You think it"ll work? And I'm just asking for opinions and I take them for just that---an opinion. Thank you for your input.
This is me at 2 moving a church, yes that is me in the drivers seat, no I didn't drive that day, but your 931 should walk right up that hill but as others said you should add about 3-5000 lbs to the rear area of the truck I would put it in between the cab and fifth wheel to get good traction on all wheels.
uploadfromtaptalk1448946874344.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448946915718.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! That said, use your truck - don't rent anything. Singles or duals? Either way, this time of year, I would be worried about things getting wet, snow or rain. But if you chain her her up, its guaranteed to make it (duals need both tires chained).

74M35A2

Get a running start and post a video!

The inbound trailer will have small wheels on it, which will not be conducive to a gravel upward slope. They will want to sink and that will put a lot more load on the pull than the trailer weight alone. $3k is a lot of money to give away to rent anything. I would buy four long 2" x 12" boards and have them ready to use under the trailer wheels on the way up the slope to keep it on top of the gravel. Just "leap-frog" the boards along the way. It will take a little bit of time to do it this way, but even if it took all day (which it won't), you should be able to save $ and get it done.

As another option, if anybody near you has a winch truck like a 925, they have a 200' cable on a 20,000lb winch. Parked upward, that would pull it 200' at a time.

pcarexpress

So, the rain delayed the delivery of the trailer until last week. I fabricated a drop plate and replaced the pintle on the truck with a 21,000 lb bolt on hitch from Geny Hitch. But the lowest I could comfortable go was 30" off the ground with the ball. This unfortunately turned out to be still too high as the back of the trailer was only about 3 inches off the ground with the tongue at 30".
Turns out it was probable a blessing in disguise. I had to hire a guy who had to use a translift to even get the trailer around the corner and onto the drive way. However, the answer to the question I originally posted is YES. They brought a remote controlled tracked crawler to push the trailer up the hill but the hill turned out to be too steep for their crawler. So, they had me look to the axles of the trailer with two 40 ft chains and pull the trailer and the crawler up the hill. I should have listened to the advice someone posted and added weight to the back of the truck. Because, the trailer turned out to weigh 46,000 lbs instead of the 22500 the manufacturer told me. The 46000 was on the weight cert on the front of the trailer. All six wheels were slipping at times but that beast slowly pulled it up the hill. At one point I had to cut a corner wide and put three wheels in the ditch. But it kept pulling. I was going to put a pallet of capstones that I have that weigh several thousand pounds on the deck in front of the fifth wheel. But, I foolishly listened to someone else who told me that that truck would pull that trailer up the hill sideways if it had too. And perhaps if the trailer had of been attached to the truck the 10,000 tongue weight would have helped considerably. But in the end, it did it. In fact, the guy wants to buy my truck and put a 6 way hitch on the back of it.
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, but I don't have any of the truck pulling the trailer anyway. I was too busy driving. But, they'll do it.
I ordered a 15" drop hitch to put into the receiver that I bought from them which will make any future towing jobs much easier. I'll post what pictures I have as soon as I figure out how to post pictures. Thanks again to everyone for the input and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks