• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOD Special Agent wants to see my truck

OD_Coyote

While I was in Houston on business this week my wife received a call from a person that identified himself as a DOD special agent out of Tracy, CA.
He told her that since Idaho Motor Pool is such a high volume seller they need to do a visual confirmation to verify that the truck was actually sold to the person listed on the paper work. Has anyone ever heard of the DOD doing this before?

Thanks,
C. D. Hunter

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually its the DLA that follows up on this stuff. Seems one of our members got a visit about some items he bought. I would verify his credentials but doesn't seem too far fetched.

Jones

Tracy, California is a small town in my area and it's odd that they would be sending anyone from there to Washington to follow up on a transaction out of Idaho.
By all means, get ID including number on badge and/or ID card. Might even give someone ( lawyer, 5 or 6 of your beefier buddies, friend in local P.D.) a heads up as to your meeting place and time. Be sure of your rights as to what you do and don't need to divulge. Problem is that not too many people can tell at a glance whether an ID is legit or not, especially with a less than high profile agency-- and there are far too many scammers and other unsavory characters lurking around these days.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest that you contact him on Monday and if you feel comfortable on the phone tell him what he wants to know if it is not personal info. Anything more than that I would tell him you will meet (if that is what he requests) at your local police station and go from there. Let someone at the local station know what's up first, I would bet they will help you handle this safely. 2cents

FrankUSMC

My father in law went to work for DRMO after he retired from the Marines. About 10 years ago or more, he had to start doing follow ups on stuff that was sold. He worked with the HAZMAT side, selling unopen paint and other un used materals. He said he would be sent out to make sure it was being stored correctly. If you were just unloading the paint and materals in a field, he would have to report it.
I could see, with all the stuff that has happened sence 9/11 they would be now checking on other items sold.
One of the few, Frank

westfolk

Knowing some of the crazy stuff that has happened to me dealing with DoD I'd say this is the real thing. Just the same I'd play it safe using the local PD or what not until you verify this individual.

cmech2003

You will find this to be a legitament request to see the EUC controlled property, I've had it happen to me, and being active duty, I've seen it happenas well, no particular reason for you getting picked they insinuate that DLA takes 1 of every 10 items and randomly does a follow up investigation, to find out it's status. The special investigator went from D.C. to Oklahoma where the truck was at a friends house who purchased it from me. They will provide you with their credentials, and paper in writing letting you know what is going on.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please let us know what becomes of this. So if this happens to another MV'er we'll have a heads up. If he needs to see the truck, offer to send him pics. This sounds very suspect to me. Why would the gov care about a cargo truck? I could understand if it was a tracked vehicle or a destructive device. But if he needs to see it i would have him meet at the PD or constable's or even better your state police's station. And i would be sure to go to the station before hand and meet with some one in person and explain your problem. And beg them to let you have a officer present during this getogether. And i would give the police all info you can get from him before you meet. I would also tell him to bring plenty of ID. And a gov ID won't cut it. Tell him to bring his CA DL also. I would get his supervisor's name and info. And i would contact him before any meeting. Then would contact Idaho motor pool and ask what's the deal? And who thier contact person with the GOV is. Sorry if this sounds paranoid, I don't mean it that way. It just doesen't add up. It's just a cargo truck.

OD_Coyote

I appreciate all the responses to my question. I have verified that the phone number he provided is a valid # for the DOD Office in Tracy, CA and I will call the phone number he provided on Monday. Also, I live in a rural area, so there is no local PD to meet him at, but I am not concerned from that perspective. This particular special agent is going to Yakima, WA to verify another M35 sale as well. I will post a follow-up message with the results Tuesday evening after the meeting.

Thanks,
C. D. Hunter

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if the govt didt care about it, they wouldnt ask for EUC's at time of purchase.. But they do, so somewhere, someone cares about it...

N1265

I would just have a friend or two be there at your place with you when you meet , Chances are he will be alone. If things get a little fishy then call the Law.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez I would not worry so much about this. Sure bring a nice friend along. Why not meet somewhere around lunch time and have a burger? Or if at your place, be hospitable. The guy is just trying to do his job, probably wants only to verify the truck and the serial number and then will be off to the next one. It's probably a PITA for him to go chasing these audits all over the place for a bunch of dirty old trucks and stuff. Above all, just be courteous and professional as the agent is. Clean off the places on your truck the guy may have to climb on to look at the serial numbers. That would be nice. He will know you are a professional and treat you as a peer, Citizen. This is not some smalltown kin65hit cop with an ego wanting to carve another notch on his pistol, the feds are much better than that. He's going to be a decent fellow I imagine. DOD, FBI, all same-same. just want to find or verify info for their audit, and then they go about their biz. I've had a couple few dealings with G-men, never a problem and I suppose it was because I am one of the good guys, You are one of the good guys, right? Oh, and if they come in pairs, usually one wants to ask the questions and the other watches you to try to see if you are lying, so don't be put off by that, the 2nd guy is just watching your body language, he's not going to jump you. The guy's probably reading this thread right now and wondering why the group seems nervous about this. Of course I could be totally wrong, having been covertly programmed by past 'staged' contacts with agents so that I will join this forum and say exactly these nice things about them.. hehe. don't sweat it. I wish the guy would come to look at my truck, I like to show off the electronics mods and the radios and 11.00x20 tires and stuff. Probably either bore him to death or convert him to an MV'er! One of the neatest things I ever did was ask the FBI guys to meet me at work and have security call me when they got to the lobby, and then when the call came, walking into my oppressive foreign boss's office and telling him I have a meeting with the FBI in the other building and will be back after a while. I can say we had no problem commandeering a small conference room for that one! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks